Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I was just wondering if when you start the tingly stage of a…

Customer Question
I was just wondering...

I was just wondering if when you start the tingly stage of a cold sore will the tingling be in one spot or all over your mouth area ? I’ve never had a cold sore before but my boyfriend had one like two years ago and just recently has gotten another one. We haven’t shared drinks, kissed, or anything that could make me get one but my mouth has been tingling. But it hasn’t been tingling in just one spot. Mind you it’s very cold in my city right now. Can you give me some advice so I can stop worrying ?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?

No I don’t have a fever and my only existing medical conditions are acid reflux and asthma.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No not that I know of.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dermatology
1/3/2018
Dermatologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

When someone refers to a cold sore, they are typically referring to the recurrent sores that typically are single sores. When a cold sore is about to occur, the tingling will only be in the area at which the cold sore will occur. It may be in an area slightly larger than the sore that will ultimately develop, but it will not be diffuse or affecting the entire mouth.

However, the first infection of herpes can involve multiple sores throughout the mouth, so the tingling can also be more diffuse prior to the initial infection of herpes.

In your case, though, since you have limited your exposure to your boyfriend, it increases the likelihood that your tingling is from other causes, and it could be a reaction to the recent cold weather.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.