Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter who never had acne has developed severe acne in…

Customer Question
First, my daughter who...

First, my daughter who never had acne has developed severe acne in last month. she leaves for school sunday and i wanted to know your thoughts on cortizone injection to help feel good when she leaves she started ortho tri cyclen lo about 20 days ago and we are hoping that helps longterm.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Last week she was prescribed doxy, and retin a however i am thinking of not having her do the antibiotics until we see is birth control helps, or would the antibiotics jump start healing in addition to bc

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

SUPER healthy diet, plays a college sport so working out everyday, mom dealt with acne

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dermatology
1/2/2018
Dermatologist: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, how old is your daughter? And does she have any medical problems? Prior to starting the birth control, did she have regular periods? Did her doctor ever mention or think she might have a condition called PCOS? (polycystic ovary syndrome)