Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I've got a pimple like growth on my head. I made the mistake…

Customer Question
I've got a pimple...

I've got a pimple like growth on my head. I made the mistake of picking at it and it is now large and painful and scaly

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

The pain was worst about 2-3 weeks ago. but putting pressure on it -- like sleeping on it still causes discomfort

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don't think so -- I've never had anything like this before

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dermatology
12/30/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. Chip, General pratice replied 7 months ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Could you please post a photo of this for me on this page?

one minute
Here it is

Got it--thanks

How long have you had it?

Since the end of November or beginning of December I think

This looks like a basal cell carcinoma--a type of skin cancer

It could be an acanthotic keratosis which is not cancer

If it is basal cell since you haven't had it that long it should be completely curable with total excision--cutting it out with clear margins

If it's an acanthotic keratosis it can be treated with liquid nitrogen freezing

But you need to have a dermatologist see this as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you need any more information