Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Itchy dandruff scalp and pimples/red bumps on body and near…

Customer Question
Itchy dandruff scalp and pimples/red...
Itchy dandruff scalp and pimples/red bumps on body and near hairline sometimes it's on my scalp as well
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dermatology
12/28/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Do you have any images of the spots on the scalp or do they feel similar to what you're seeing and experiencing on the body?

How long ago did you start noticing these and have you tried anything for them so far?

I put 3 pictures of the bumps
I notice it after a trip to the poconoes I remember being in a hot tub and it was itchy but I don't know it it has anything to do with it

The images that I reviewed where of the left and right side of your body but for some reason the images of the scalp didn't upload.

No I didn't put pictures of my scalp bcus I currently don't have the bumps right now they come and go

I'll comment on the images that you uploaded. These are follicular eruptions most likely due to folliculitis. They don't appear to be fungal but bacterial instead though not a Staph type infection. This will happen either due to hormonal changes, temperature changes, or anytime you might change your soaps/shampoos. These can happy anywhere on the body but generally occur on the trunk/toso and the upper arms, back of the hairline and scalp and neck.

Have you tried anything for these so far?

My dermatologist gave me terbinfine and then she said if it doesn't work we are going down the bacterial antibiotic route
I'm so scared this has affected my scalp tremendously with dandruff and itching can a bacterial infection cause dandruff?

Yes, a bacterial scalp infection can also cause dandruff just as a fungal one can. I would recommend starting to wash with an over the counter product such as benzoyl peroxide 5%. In the meantime it would be safe to try various dandruff shampoos such as coal tar and selsun. Though they are aimed mostly at fungal organisms they can help with bacterial as well. There are shampoos with salicylic acid as well which can help with dandruff due to bacterial causes. The next step might be for your dermatologist to place you on a course of antibiotics to help with the bacterial infection.

What will be a good antibiotic for this kind of bacterial infection

I generally like to use doxycycline because it is the best tolerated. It's only 2x per day and I give it for 30 days. Either at 20mg if the outbreak is mild or at 100mg if the outbreak is more severe.

I recently adopted a dog and he was fine until one week in and he started develop excessive dandruff and itching and it got to the point where I had to admit him and they diagnosed him with a bacterial infection could this be related?

It's unlikely. I'm not familiar with any dog infection that are bacterial that humans can get. Even though the same bacteria can be present on human and dog, their skin predisposition to infections is different from ours.

But whenever you get a new dog your own bacterial flora chang and so it can take a few months for your body to get used to it which can present as outbreaks initially.

Can the bumps on my body be related to the dandruff?
Can the same thing that's causing the bumps be causing the dandruff

Yes, if the infection on the scalp is bacterial and causing dandruff then the same bacteria would cause the spots on your body. I would suspect that it's all caused by the same bacteria based on timing and presentation.

Excessive dandruff and itching now hairloss from the dandruff . And also bumps on body what can this be
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD