Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have about 6 non raised small circles on my leg, they are…

Customer Question
I have about 6...

I have about 6 non raised small circles on my leg, they are not itchy or anything

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

They have only just begun to form today

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I took my methotrexate yesterday and my enberl

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dermatology
12/28/2017
Dermatologist: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 7 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for the question. May i have more details please?

- How old are you?

- What is your weight and height?

- Do you have any medical conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes, anemia, hypothyroidism?

- Do you smoke?

- Why have you bee prescribed methotrexate? And Enbrel? What medical condition do you have?

- Where on the leg do you have the circles? On the shin? Are they reddish? Whitish? Silvery?

I am 39, I have Rheumatoid arthritis that's the cause of the 2 meds, non smoker, no other major heath concerns, no new meds, only also on Cymbalta for depression, I am six feet tall and big, about 320lbs. No new soaps or clothing. Bumps are numbering 8 now. Bumps are below the knee on the outer calf and are dark red in color.

Thank you for your reply.

It is difficult to diagnose your condition without a physical examination.
However, from the description, it may be a skin condition called Erythema annulare centrifugum . The eruption usually begins as small raised pink-red spot that slowly enlarges and forms a ring shape while the central area flattens and clears. The rings enlarge and may grow into irregular shapes.

The most common sites are the thighs and legs, but face, trunk and arms may also be involved. They are usually without symptoms but in some patients may cause mild itching.

The exact cause is not known but chronic conditions like Rheumatoid arthritis are usually associated with this condition. Other causes may be bacterial or fungal infections and chronic infections like tuberculosis. In your case, it is probably due to the Rheumatoid arthritis.

Treatment is usually with a steroid ointment but the condition may recur after the ointment is stopped.

Please try applying an OTC steroid like Cortisone and see if that helps. If not, please consult your dotor for a prescription strength steroid ointment.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.