Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a small skin-colored soft to touch lump on the right…

Customer Question
I have a small skin-colored...
I have a small skin-colored soft to touch lump on the right side of my perineum. I noticed it yesterday because it was a bit tender when wiping, after going to the bathroom. Today, it seems a bit smaller and is not longer tender. Any ideas?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dermatology
It doesn’t hurt to sit or walk. It’s only slightly tender when I push on it, kind of like when you have a pimple and push on it? It’s uncofmortable but not painful.
12/28/2017
Dermatologist: GauravMD, Dr replied 3 months ago
GauravMD

Hi

Welcome to just answer

I am Dr. Gupta, a board certified doctor and am practicing since the last 18 years

The various possibilities regarding the lump in the perineal area in your case can be -

- cyst - this can be sebaceous cyst or dermoid cyst which can be present anywhere in the body. They are usually harmless and do not require any treatment

- pustule - an infection or pus collection in the localised area. But, since you do not have any pain or tenderness, the possibility of a pustule are less

- Lipoma - localised collection of fat cells. A small lipoma does not need any treatment

- anal duct cyst - This if present can lead to further infections and needs to be drained. But this kind of cyst is usually painful and accompanied by fever once infection sets in

- Teratoma - These are tumours which are mostly benign and can rarely be malignant. But they are usually accompanied by pain, pressure on sitting, constipation etc.

By the description of your lump, it seems either a harmless cyst or a lipoma. These both do not need active intervention. Rest would be clear only after a first hand evaluation by your doctor.

Hope this information is helpful

Regards

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Cheers

GauravMD
GauravMD
GauravMD, Dr