Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a 10 month old baby and I have noticed I have itchy…

Customer Question
I have a 10...

I have a 10 month old baby and I have noticed I have itchy red spots on both my breasts.they appear and then dry up leaving a dark spot on my breasts...am confused as to what that can be.please help thank you

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

I have not used any thing to apply on it as I don't know what they are.I have had it for a month now

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don't think I have any thing that worries me from my medical history

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dermatology
12/26/2017
Dermatologist: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 7 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Hello ,

Thank you for your question.

I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Your symptoms suggest that could have developed either a mild contact dermatitis or a fungal infection. The dermatitis could be a result of irritation from your clothes. Fungal infections are very common in warm humid areas covered by clothes.

Neither of the causes will affect the baby and you can continue to breastfeed.

Please apply Lotrimin ointment once a day and Cortisone ointment once a day , wiping them off before you breastfeed. Both are available without a prescription.

This will help control the spots. if you see a recurrence after 1 week of using the ointments, please consult a doctor.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.