Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

What is this in the middle of my thumb nail?

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/23/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. Chip, General pratice replied 6 months ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

If you're referring to that small darkish spot in the center of the nail itself how long have you had it?

I think it only started this morning when I woke up

But are you referring to the red spot?

No the white-ish spot in the center of the nail. I know the spot at the top-center of the nail came from a manicure I had cause they dug too far when working on the cuticle.

OK

That's in the nail itself and nothing at all serious

It's a small patch of fungal infection but since it's so small it should resolve fairly soon and doesn't need any treatment

Please let me know if you need any more information

How long should it take for it to clear up?

Probably no more than a week

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Does that red area above the nail look infected?

Is that tender?

No, doesnt hurt or anything

Then it isn't an infection--just a little irritation of the skin there

Please remember the rating and Happy Holidays