Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

Wife had a swelling in her cheek with numbness and it moved…

Customer Question
Wife had a...

Wife had a swelling in her cheek with numbness and it moved to her upper lip, all in a few hours, after having lunch today. Seems to be going away now, could it be MSG in the burger? She also got a tingle on her tongue yesterday, looked in the mirror and saw whitish streaks on her tongue, still there but also going away. Any ideas?

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No injuries swelling since lunch , seven hours or so

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Similar event in June, only lasted 3 hours

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dermatology
12/21/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon replied 2 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Her symptoms are suggestive of some allergen (likely to be food allergen). MSG can be a possibility causing this if this has been observed earlier too.

Taking a benadryl would do two things;

a) May relieve her symptoms.

b) if symptoms are relieved, will substantiate allergic phenomenon.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.
Dermatologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon replied 1 month ago
Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions. It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl Merry Christmas.Happy Holidays.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon