Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I think I have a chronic fungal infection. Not sure where it…

Customer Question
I think I have...

I think I have a chronic fungal infection. Not sure where it started but I feel that it's affecting my left foot, the left side of my colon, my back, both ears but left more than the right, same with sinuses and my scalp.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

25 years,no not really

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dermatology
I could be crazy though
12/21/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon replied 2 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

What are the reason of your belief that you have fungal infection?

47, white maleMy dr said what I thought were flee bites on my head was actually a fungal infection about 2 years ago. Been battling it ever since...and i think i've made progress. Plus some odd things have happened over the years that now "add up". One in particular, sinus surgery i had 20 years ago and the surgeons reaction. I know this is all very subjective and speculative...i apologize.But there's definitely something going on deep in my scalp that's somehow linked to my sinues, back, tummy, ears, and foot. I know or think this because when i press on a spot on my scalp, for example, the spot closest to my forehead, my sinuses and ear's light up like crazy. Meaning I can feel it in my sinuses and deep in my ears starts itching like crazy.
for what ever reason, my dr is 100% dismissive, or so it feels...it's like he didn't even hear me

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

On the forehead there are frontal sinuses which are connected to the other sinuses (maxillary, sphenoidal etc) and to the nose and throat. So pressing on the forehead can cause symptoms on the face and ear and closer areas. Body is connected with autonomic nervous system which works on the hormones and there is integral connection between nerves and hormones. So your symptoms may be related. You need to get an MRI of the sinuses and if there is any chronic infection an aspirate of the sinuses should be sent for bacterial and fungus culture.

This should be able to diagnose the issue.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

k, i can't afford the phone call right now.but fwiw, when i press on the spot that's closer to my crown, on the left, 2 spots on my back that went numb about 15 years ago tingle and my tummy gets jumpy.I did have another spot close current spot near my forhead that triggered my left foot and a spot i've had on my right arm for 20 years. But i think that spots been largely take care of. But it was almost devoid of feeling, almost like it wasn't actually apart of me....well, numb. I could take chunks out it and it didn't hurt at all...and it healed unbelievably fast. This relates to the sinus surgery i had 20 years ago...a surgery that I'm pretty sure did NOT go as planned. I was under for almost 9hrs when it should have been 90 min. The ENT disappeared on sabatical (which is what i
was told) within a week of the surgery. I found that to be odd
Yeah, it's not my forhead, it's about 3" back from my forhead, it's definitely my scalp...and when i push on the same spot on the right side, nothing happens. But on the left, the pain, in my sinus...like almost across the bridge of my nose is so extreme it makes me dizzy and nauseous. So, i dont press there often or with much pressure.

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control.

You would also need an MRI of the skull too for the diagnosis.

Medical imaging nowadays is very advanced and can find the cause of your symptoms.

But these spots, I had to like dig down a little to get to them. Some of them weren't pleasant. But they consisted of 2 - 5 bumps that felt like quite large mosquito bites. And when I put alcohol on them, they began oozing a massive amount of a fluid that initially felt oily but then turned into damp dirt...with a feel and consistency of fishing worm dirt. You know that soft black dirt that worms you buy to fish with, live in.

These spots are likely to be dermoid or sebaceous cysts which are common in these areas.

What did your doctor say about them?

But with the exception of about 3 spots, I think most of those are gone now. I did have about 7 spots initiallly
He hasn't said anything, it's been tough...i feel very alone. Well, a couple years ago he told me to go stand in the sun for an hour or so and everything should clear up
The numbness was odd, but it was the healing that was freaky. I'm talking hours for something that should have taken weeks. And if that ENT hit something like that in my sinuses during the surgery...i don't know. But the doc they passed me off to said that was by far the longest operation they'd ever had. It really seemed to freak out my original ENT, at the time it just made me feel dejected...but that was 20 years ago, or 22 years ago, 1995ish
he has not returned, at least not to this area.

I am sorry for the surgery which may have had complications during the operation.

But the best is find a way to get your symptoms investigated.

Yeah, is a dermatologist the right discipline to investigate?

Dermatologist can be the physician but since there are many symptoms overlap, best would be to get the primary care physician involved in the investigative process initially.

The results can guide to the best specialist.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

ohh, and also fwiw, they've all heavily reacted to (you're gonna think im crazier than you prolly already do) "smoked tobacco". I'll pull a bunch of smoke through a cigarette (about half the cigarette) then i'll grind the rest in a mortar and pestle really fine. Mix with a little hand sanitizer and put that on my head.
Once applied, it immediately shut down the oozing of those bumps, eased pain and eliminated the bumps in a matter of 30 - 60 seconds.I guess, I'll need to get a new GP then... IDK, i guess i was hoping for an answer, but that prolly wasn't a reasonable expectation.
The bumps literally melted and fell off. But those spots weren't as painful to expose and the three remaining. These three, shew, hurt so much more than the other 4 or 5 that appear gone now. So I just apply the same formula on top of the skin, and i can definitely feel it's doing something, just nowhere near as quickly as the exposed bumps. Anyway, thx
as painful to expose as the remaining 3...

A physical exam and investigations are essential here for the diagnosis.

Coming back to your initial question; this is not likely to be fungal infection.

Please let me know if this interaction is helpful to you.

Really? Hrm...k, any suppositions?I will look for another GP tomorrow and make an appointment

Your symptoms do not suggest fungal infection.

A chronic fungal infection occur in diabetics or people who have autoimmune disorder or low body immunity due to other reasons.

Many of your symptoms may be related to post traumatic stress disorder which may have happened due to prolonged surgery.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Merry Christmas.

Happy Holidays.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon