Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I've been suffering from nocturnal pruritus for many years.

Customer Question
Hello...I've been suffering from...

Hello...I've been suffering from nocturnal pruritus for many years. My primary doctors don't take the problem seriously. A dermatologist I saw had no interest in helping me. Psychologically and physically this is literally killing me. I need help to diagnose this and figure out a solution. There appears to be so many causes I don't know where to start.

Doctor's Assistant: Can you tell me about all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. itching, rash, new birthmarks or moles)?

Thanks for the reply. I have no obvious skin rash or lesions. Skin appears normal. Intense itching all over at night right before bedtime and lasting until 3 am or so when it finally subsides. Because I'm so sleep deprived, even when I nap during the day, the itching flares up. It is so insane and embarrassing. Prior to bed I use a stiff brush for 20 to 30 minutes to brush my skin which very marginally helps, but is no cure.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

It has been a long time. 8 years maybe, but as time goes by it gets worse and lately it is off the charts. No major changes in nails. Skin on face and ears seems more oily, while shins and forearms are very dry. At first it was a seasonal thing only during the winter and at night. Now it is all year long night and day. If I am busy it is not a problem. But when I start to relax, it flares up.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Idiopathic Hypersomnia, but this was diagnosed before the pruritus. Generally speaking I need to improve my sleep but that is not going to happen with the pruritus. Hormone levels are absolutely trashed.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dermatology
12/19/2017
Dermatologist: DocPhilMD, Doctor replied 4 months ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

still need help?

for $40.00 all I get is a silly question? I don't expect the moon but this is it? O.K. I'll play along. What would $400.00 or even $4,000.00 buy me for a LEGITIMATE response? Two or three short cryptic questions?
NOPE! Just another internet land mine that I just stepped on. What a crock of shit! Thanks for NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok

dermdoc19
dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist