Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I believe that I have discoid lupus or a type of cutaneous…

Customer Question
I believe that I have...
I believe that I have discoid lupus or a type of cutaneous lupus. I have said this to my Dr and she took labs for Ana and anti DNA anti smooth muscle and inflammatory markers. All negative. I emphasized that I wanted a biopsy done and she referred me to a dermatologist after giving me bactrim for cellulitis and putting me on meds for compulsive picking. The lesions began appearing on my scalp in October 2016 and have spontaneously resolved and reactivated and are ongoing. I had lesions start on my left jawline in May 2017 that seems to "move" in an overlapping circles for months until the last circle burns out four or five months later. My right scapula has a large area that followed the same course which started in May 2017 also and is showing signs of burning out. A lesion started on my right chin/frown area in September 2017 and was deep. It is now shallow but depressed and closes and reactivates but is showing signs of burning out. End of November I insisted on seeing another physician within the group to get a biopsy. Again emphasized my suspicion that is was autoimmune and he took a punch biopsy with a very small diameter just outside of the active lesion. The pathology report came back that it was negative for malignancy and negative for fungal infection. The other findings said it had intracorneal hemhorrage and nonspecific dermal hyperplasia. I was advised to follow up with my Dr. My Dr gave another referral to Dermatologist. My appointment is in July 2017 and I feel like I am being dismissed as neurotic. Beginning of December a new lesion became active on my left scapula/shoulder and just a few days ago another on my left chin. They all have the following characteristics and behavior. Begins as an itchy small raised area about the size of a typical blemish. It does not heal, it does not respond to topical treatment, face washing, benzoyl creams, retinol creams, antifungal, hydrocortisone, antibiotic or other creams. I am on long term minocycline 100mg/ day for adult acne. The lesion will expand to approximately the diameter of a pencil eraser before I realize that it is going to be another of these nonhealing lesions. They never scab, they do not bleed when picked. It will crust over like dried egg whites. When I wash my face the crust softens and exposes these white projections in the lesion. The projections can be extracted with tweezers and a small crater is left behind that hemhorrage momentarily and then stops. Soon after the small crater is gone. Hours later, there are other white projections protruding from the lesion. When extracted, the projections all have the same appearance and consistency however different sizes. They do not smear like sebum, they do not erupt like abscess. They resemble white cooked grains of rice with the consistency of gristle. Bouncy/fleshy. They will dehydrate after some time of being extracted and appear much smaller and tough like a fingernail. I have rehydrated them to demonstrate to my husband what they look like when I've pulled them out. These began showing up during a very stressful time in my career. I began having skin issues after delivering my twins which are the youngest of all four children. These lesions are disfiguring and my face and appearance are critical in my career as a director of nursing. How can I see a dermatologist before July? How does anyone with this condition get put on a waiting list that long? Is there anything I can do to slow this down? Am I neurotic or does this sound like a autoimmune? What other tests can I insist on with my Dr in the meantime to hopefully get some treatment.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 day by:
12/18/2017
Dermatologist: Vera Morhenn,
 replied 4 months ago
Vera Morhenn

I would ask the dermatologist to perform a biopsy within the lesion not outside of it.

Dermatologist: Vera Morhenn,
 replied 4 months ago

18 Dec 2017, 12:12 PM

Vera Morhenn
Vera Morhenn
Vera Morhenn