Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I bought Tretinoin Gel (A-Ret) 0.1 % on eBay. It’s from

Customer Question
Menarini out of India. It...
I bought Tretinoin Gel (A-Ret) 0.1 % on eBay. It’s from Menarini out of India. It smells and looks legit. It caused peeling. So much so I only used it every 3rd night. Everything I could find on the internet suggests it legit. The problem is it’s aged my forehead about 20 yrs within 2 months. I only had wrinkles on the left side of my forehead. Now my entire forehead looks droopy, wrinkled and like a 60 year olds. I know I didn’t age 20 years on just one part of my face in 2 months naturally. I’m 39 and have my whole life been told I look much younger then my actual age. It’s absolutely hideous looking now. I stopped using it 2 1/2 weeks ago, and it’s not getting any better. I’ve read there’s dermal slippage in the beginning stages of Retin a use. Is this permanent or will my skin eventually go back to normal? If so how long? I have to wear a hat everywhere now. This is really scaring me.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dermatology
12/16/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

Tretinoin gel doesn't cause wrinkles that are permanent. It can, however, cause transient wrinkle like appearance due to swelling or creasing of the old skin on continued use. This transient wrinkling will resolve within a month after discontinuation. You should continue to use a moisturizer till then and this may help in early resolution.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Dear customer,
Were you able to read my answer?
Did I answer your question? Please reply.
Thank you!

Dermatologist: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 6 months ago

Dear customer,
Thank you!