Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Can herpes be at both corners of the mouth?

Customer Question
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dermatology
12/16/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon replied 5 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Please post a picture.

Its like that on both sides and they been there for a month now.
Hello

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Your symptoms can be due to angular cheilitis. Please read about it;

https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/angular-cheilitis#1

Herpes sores can occur on both the sides of lips but usually do not stay for one month.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I didn't see any pics of angular that show dots like mine do.

You need to get a biopsy of these sores if your blood tests for Herpes are negative.

They look more like forespots. They just came out of nowhere.

I will opt out.

Dermatologist: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 5 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. Mo. I see the other expert opted out so I'll give you my impression of the images you uploaded. It doesn't appear that what you have there is herpes and they do appear to be fordyce spots which are benign. They will come and go with age and hormonal changes. But they are benign.

i spoke to you a few weeks ago. The burning contunies and it comes and goes. Its been 3 days now with my lips burning. I took a herpes test, so I'll know by tommorow.

Sure, let me know if you have any questions for me. You did a herpes blood test or a swab?

Blood

I don't believe there is a blood test to check for active infection but perhaps your doctor knows something I don't. It can only test for exposure or immunity to the virus. And your doctor can't really do a swab because the pretest probability of herpes is too low. Either way, if you have any questions about the results let me know.

Glad I could help you with this.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Please click the rating button when you get a chance.

-Dr. Mo

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD