Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

For the past 6 months, when I wake up in the morning I have…

Customer Question
For the past 6...

For the past 6 months, when I wake up in the morning I have been experiencing dry lips. It is like the skin is peeling off. I put like vaseline or some other cream on them when I go to sleep, but it doesn't seem to help. What is the problem and what can I do about it?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

Just the last 6 months for my lips, but no other skin problems or with the nails.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

None that I can think of.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/15/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Is there any burning of the lips as well? Do you experience the same dryness inside the mouth such as on the tongue or on the buccal mucosa?
Also, have you had any history of food allergies or skin allergies such as eczema?
No dryness in mouth, drainage on roof of mouth and no food allergies, skin or eczema. I do wake up sometimes with drainage on roof of mouth.

What you're describing sounds more like an allergic reaction. Have you started eating any new foods? Have you had any congestion of the sinuses or odd tastes in the mouth?

I always have sinus drainage and nose runs, especially when I eat, especially hot foods. No new food though. No odd tastes in the mouth.

Constant sinus drainage and runny nose would indicate some sort of allergy.

Since you've had the chapped lips for 6 months fairly persistently I have to assume that it's not an infection and more likely an allergy, whether related to the sinuses or due to something you're eating.

The most common cause would be citrus fruits which includes avocados - basically anything with a high acidity or ascorbic acid content. Cutting back on some of these things might be wise even if you have consumed them for a long time without problems.

Natural remedies for the chapping and peeling would be oral omega fatty acids such as virgin coconut oil and nuts which have a lot of this and also turmeric supplementation.

Glad I could help.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Please click the rating button when you get a chance.

-Dr. Mo

-Dr. Mo