Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have what I believe is a ringworm on my face. It's been…

Customer Question
Hello there. I have...

Hello there. I have what I believe is a ringworm on my face. It's been there for maybe seven years. I've tried all sorts of creams and even antibiotics but no deal.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

Ive had it scraped twice and both times confirmed for fungus/yeast

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My goodness. Maybe seven years.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dermatology
12/14/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 8 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

can you upload a clear jpg photo of this ringworm rash on your face?

have you used antifungal creams like clotrimazole 1% or tinactin cream on the area

often times you have to use antifungal cream daily for 4-6 weeks to clear a skin fungal infection.

I went to three different dermatologists. First one said it was just an age spot. That was three years ago. It did not look like a ring then. She tried to treat it with laser. But then i got too busy and was not able to continue.I went to a second derma last year. She asked me to have it scraped. It came our postiive for yeast and fungus. So she gave me antibtiotics and a cream which I used for two months but to no avial.So i went to a third derma. She asked for a scraping again. It said fungal elements present. She prescribed an antibiotic and a cream Terbinafine which I used for two months but It did not work. A week and a half ago she said to try Miconazole Nitrate Hydrocortisone. And so I'm trying that.Before I went to the first derma, when it started to look more like a ring than an age spot, i tried lamisil and clotrimazole and colloidal silver. To no avail.It is getting bigger and of course i am getting more and more upset. I hope you can help me.
I am in the Philippines. BTW.
It is brown. There is no itching. There are no ridges. I first noticed it many years ago and i have old photos where you can barely see it and I always thought it was an age spot until last year when a make-up artist said that it might be ringworm. Sometime after that it started to look like ringworm so ive been quite upset that ive had it for years without knowing what it was.
Hello again, ive been waiting for a while and haven't gotten a reply. How does this work? I don't know how to move forward.

sorry for the delay

I was seeing patients this morning

thanks for the photo

it doesn't look like a ring worm fungal infection.

that would have responded to antifungal agents.

I think it is scar tissue from prior laser treatments or an age spot that looks like a ring.