Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I do have a permanent red rash on my upper body and arms i…

Customer Question
I do have a...

I do have a permanent red rash on my upper body and arms i did have hiv test 2 months after i had protected sex but found negative for hiv what would be the cause of my skin rash i dont experience any fever just only foot pain occasionally probably because of high uric acid

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

Nails appear normal combination of light red and white some rashes appear like a pimple

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Chest pain left ribs specially when i ate a lot of red meat

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dermatology
12/13/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

There is a long list of conditions that can cause a chronic rash, but the most common would be a type of eczema. Even something as seemingly benign as chronic dry skin can cause a type of eczema. A type of allergy is also a common cause of a chronic rash. There are also a variety of specific inflammatory conditions that can affect the skin, such as psoriasis. You may need to be seen by your doctor to get a definitive diagnosis, but it is reasonable to first try some simple home interventions, such as the regular use of a moisturizer or a trial of an oral antihistamine.

but youre sure sir its not hiv? does hiv rashes be sometimes permanent? or this rashes tells that im lacking some form of nutrient or vitamins?

It definitely would not be HIV.

The rash of an early HIV infection is only transient. There are some chronic rashes that can occur later in an HIV infection, but the test would certainly have detected an HIV infection at that stage.

It is possible to get a rash from chronic insufficient protein intake and certain nutrient deficiencies, such as niacin deficiency, but these are rare compared to some of the more common causes of a rash that I noted above.