Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have an initial question but it will be leading into some…

Customer Question
I have an initial question...
I have an initial question but it will be leading into some other things. I will have to write about those later on because I am preparing for company- but nothing urgent. If I had an allergy or sensitivity to Coconut / coconut oil and I used it on my skin, would only that part of my skin show evidence of an allergy or would I get a rash or itch on other parts of my body as well? Just as a reminder, I was in contact with you previously and I haven't gotten to look back on all of my notes to see if answers I had gotten more from you or another dermatologist.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 5 days by:
12/15/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist replied 8 months ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

You would get an allergy only on the are that you applied. This is called a contact allergic dermatitis. However , if the reaction on the local area is very severe like causing blisters then it would spread out to other areas of the body

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

You might want to get a cup of coffee, sit back, and put your feet up because this is going to be a long one.
I have several skin issues. All are diagnosed by my doctor, but I won't see him for a while and I don't communicate as well verbally as in writing.
I am looking for a happy medium to balance all of these issues: eczema/dry skin (whole body), folliculitis (mostly back of thighs, buttocks, neck and face), dandruff /dry scalp and ears.
Initially many years ago) I saw a dermatologist and was diagnosed with Seborrheic Dermatitis which was treated with a combination Nizoral/hydrocortisone cream for the patches at the hairline and behind ears. At that time, I also thought it would be a good idea to use Nizoral shampoo. Since then, I have not had the redness and burning itch at the hairline. The dermatologist also had me using benzoyl peroxide on my entire body. I don't remember hearing a diagnosis for what was being treated with the benzoyl peroxide, but the symptoms were the same as what my current Dr says is folliculitis. Mostly I have acne-like lesions which often are large and blood-filled but rarely come to a head. I don't like treating them with moist heat as it has been suggested to me because I get a lot of them (several at a time and occurring frequently) because treatment is time consuming and I think it only deals with the pain symptom. (which rarely bothers me.) What bothers me is I tend to socially isolate myself during flair ups for fear that one of these things will open up in public (which would be so embarrassing. I'm not embarrassed by much, but for this, the word mortifying comes to mind).
Before the foliculitis diagnosis and after the seborrhoeic dermatitis cleared up, I went back to see my doctor and mentioned the itching and peeling of skin just inside my ears. He concluded that it was part of the seborrheic dermatitis and suggested I treat it the same way. So when I wash my ears with Nizoral shampoo and followed with OTC hydrocortisone cream. It's usually not something I remember to discuss with my Dr, but it's gotten really bad - TERRABLE itching and flaking in my ears. My sister bought me what I call an ear scraper or ear scratcher. It looks like a Q-tip but what would be the cotton end is, well, it's hard to describe. I will include a picture. Using it, I can extract a good bit of skin every other day which doesn't seem normal to me.
So the Nizoral/hydrocortisone cream was effective and I never had to go back to using that again. And the benzoyl peroxide worked well for a while. The Nizoral shampoo was also effective. I had used both for a long period of time, then on and off and eventually switched to regular shampoo and soap because I no longer had the symptoms. I was okay for a while then the symptoms of both conditions came back. So I tried the benzoyl peroxide and Nizoral shampoo again and neither of them worked for either condition.
Earlier this year, I posed the folliculitis question to someone here on just answer (I believe that it was you) and it was recommended that I use hibiclens. This has been pretty effective. But now that winter's dryer weather has come, I need to use something to moisturize. My Pcp suggested using Eucerin- the original thick cream-last winter. I really liked using Eucerin - it was very effective but tended to clog my pores and make the folliculitis worse.
In addition to that, I really wanted to try to use something natural. I chose coconut oil, and when my niece started using essential oils, she suggested I use them for my skin (namely, tea tree oil and lavender). I bought them but haven't used yet. I would like to use them, (Sice I already bought them) but I don't want to comprise losing the progress I've already made. Could I, for example, keep using hibiclense and add the essential oils? And what would you suggest for my terribly itchy ears and scalp? I just started using Walmart brand of T gel which someone else I'm just answer had suggested I alternate with Selsun Blue. I have the T gel but need to buy the Selsun Blue. I wanted to pose these questions to you specifically because I believe you will take the time to try to help me and put everything together.
One last thing- I had been taking krill oil to help lower cholesterol. It didn't lower it enough, so I'm on Lipitor. But I have read one article that said that krill oil might also help with dry skin. My skin last year when I was taking the krill oil may have been a bit less dry because of it. Any thought on that?
Take as long as you like since there's a lot of information here. I'm not going anywhere
Before I hit the send button, it didn't look like any picture attached. So pardon me if you get the same picture twice. It is a picture of the tool I used to scratch / clean my ears Dash about the size of a Q-tip. The flakes around it is from one of my ears.
Dermatologist: Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your coffee advise !

Thank you for the detailed information provided so I can assist you better .

Krill oil is absolutely fine . There is no problem. It would help in giving a good relief from the overall body dryness.

T gel is very effective in controlling the inflammation . Adding selsun shampoo may cause further irritation of the area.

My suggestion to you would be to use over the counter Nizoral and Hydrocortisone cream twice a week for 10 weeks.

You can use these on the scalp and the ear. Eucerin is good but helps superficially.

The best cream that you can use is to get the Pimecrolimus cream from your PCP . This cream called Elidel would help in reducing the inflammation. Inflammation in the ears , scalp area will be kept reduced with consistent application of this product without any side effects and will solve the problem from its root rather then superficially helping you .

Please do let me know if you have any further queries.

You caught me just in time; I was going to buy Selson Blue in the morning. Nizoral stopped working though. What method of application would I use for hydrocortisone on scalp? Is it OK to use conditioner?

Thank you for your reply.

You can use the Hydrocortisone cream once at night daily on the areas of inflammation. Yes is it ok to use conditioner. The other option is even to put coconut oil on the affected areas twice a week

Ok, so
1. wash hair (Nizoral or t-gel? Or alternate?)
2. use coconut oil twice a week (and a light conditioner each time I shampoo on ends) (sometimes I only shampoo 2 - 3 times a week)
3. then hydrocortisone at night on worst areas of scalp and for ears. And the prescription moisturizer you mentioned above.
4. And for folliculitis, hibiclense (I think I would like to use this only on worst areas of folliculitis and dove on the rest of body if that's OK.)
I just looked up Elidel. My eczema isn't bad enough to risk the side effects. I would like to discuss fungal infection and athletes foot cream. But that will have to wait.
Thank you. You have been so kind and patient.

Wash Hair and scalp : T Gel shampoo

Coconut oil correctly as you have mentioned

Yes then Hydrocortisone on the worst areas of the skin and the prescription moisturizer post that.

Yes for folliculitis the hibiclense