Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have small boils or something behind my neck they come and…

Customer Question
I have small boils or...
I have small boils or something behind my neck they come and go I don’t know what to do ?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dermatology
12/7/2017
Dermatologist: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Please tell me, when you say "boils" are you referring to pimple like skin lesions? Are you able to attach a photograph of what they look like?

This is what it looks like it pains when I touch it !!

Thank you for sending the picture, I'm sorry for the discomfort you are experiencing. Are you having any fever, bleeding or oozing fluid/pus from the bumps pictured?

No nothing like that
I’m glad to hear that. It’s hard to tell from just a picture but the skin involved appears to involve areas where you have had your hair shaved down close. It’s most likely some sort of irritation, inflammation and mild infection. I recommend washing the area gently with a mild moisturizing soap like Dove, and applying an over the counter antibiotic ointment like bacitracin 3x per day for 7-10 days. If it gets itchy, you can also use a little hydrocortisone 1% ointment 1-2x per day for 7 days. Should help bring down the swelling and discomfort. If that doesn’t work at all or it worsens, especially if it starts bleeding or oozing pus, then Inwould go see your doctor or urgent care. Any other questions?
If you have no further questions, please click the button to accept the answer to conclude our interaction. I would also appreciate the kindness of a 5 star positive review. Thank you.
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD