Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a lump on my groin it’s purple and it won’t go away.

Customer Question
I have a lump...

I have a lump on my groin it’s purple and it won’t go away

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?

Soft so I can’t even try to pop it as it just is super soft and stretchy. A few months now

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have PCOS

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dermatology
12/6/2017
Dermatologist: DermDoc, Doctor replied 7 months ago
DermDoc
DermDoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Is it painful, itchy, tender to touch?

Is it getting bigger in size over the time?

Please upload a picture to review.

Waiting for your response.
Thanks

Not painful, itchy or tender. Can hurt abit when I walk from it rubbing
I did just try to squeeze it and nothing but the smallest amount ever of blood came out so I can’t even squeeze it because it’s so soft the skin

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

I have reviewed your picture.

Well as you describe, possible causes may include Blood blister/ Hematoma, a Benign growth of soft tissue/ tumor, sebaceous cyst.

If it's getting bigger in size then it should be evaluated with an ultrasound when you have a doctor's appointment in near future.

In the meantime, you can apply OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream to the affected area.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

What could it be if I’ve had it there before and goes away but always tends to come back and look the same except this time it has stayed.

Thanks for the follow-up.

It can be a Sebaceous cyst as excessive moisture, friction from clothes, shaving/ waxing can trigger its recurrence.

You should apply warm compresses and OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream for a week to see if it responds to them.

Otherwise, see your doctor and undergo an ultrasound and Fine needle aspiration cytology and biopsy to rule out its nature and depth.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
A bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.