Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I am, female, and had many heart problems and have type 2…

Customer Question
I am 69, female...

I am 69, female, and had many heart problems and have type 2 diabetes. I have recently notices varicose veins on my upper left back? Though I know I have vein problems in my legs I have never seen or heard of them on the upper back (left side).

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Swelling a little on the right side of my back and my bra drives me crazy.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am a medical jinx, what do you want to know. Had MI at age 46, quintuple by-pass at age 51, have 1 bypass 100% blocked, 1 bypass 50% blocked, 1 30% blocked and I have chronic angina. Diabetes, narcolepsy, restless leg syndrome, fibromyalgia, stint in right leg, etc. etc. etc.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dermatology
12/6/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. Chip, General pratice replied 7 months ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Could you please post a photo for me on this page?

of my back? Can't seem to take a picture with my phone?

Can you describe this in more detail for me then?

On the upper (near shoulder blade) I have the beginning of spider, varicose veins. I have never heard of this or seen this before? Should I contact my heart doctor.? (He is also a vascular surgeon).
Dermatologist: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.comThis is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.
I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.
Thank you for your patience.
Answers here are for education and information only.
How large (width) are the blood vessels on the left shoulder?
The area is about 3-4 round and the veins are small like a pencil drawn to 4to5 times larger. Red, pink and purple.
any swelling into the shoulder and upper arm?
3 to 4 inches round
No real swelling
Ok
most likely spider veins/telangiectasia which are smaller veins in the skin. Varicose veins are the larger veins, usually in legs. If no pain or swelling into shoulder or arm, would watch for now.

do you have any further questions?

COULD NOT GET A PHONE CALL TO GO THROUGH, SO DO NOT EXPECT TO PAY FOR PHONE CALL!
Ok, you shouldn’t be charged of phone call didn’t go thru, but you can check with customer service and they can double check for you.