Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been sick several months taking natural herbal

Customer Question
I have been sick...

I have been sick several months taking natural herbal remedies and now an antibiotic but my facial skin is flaking off like dandruff. Could it be a reaction of too much of one herb in the tonics I am taking ? It started before I got on the drug. Thanks

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

The skin on my feel have been very dry too and peeling off in large pieces.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have serious lung & heart issues

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dermatology
12/1/2017
Dermatologist: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today. I'm sorry you have dry flaking skin on your face.

Please attach pictures.

We don't want to pay $40 + $50 so we'll just e-chat. Now sure how to get picture on here-- my digital camera will take awhile if you really need it.
It just looks like dandruff on my face & clothes

The most common cause of dry skin on the face is due to many years of sun exposure which can cause a form of "psoriasis." This can usually be treated with over the counter 1% Hydrocortisone Cream applied twice daily and followed by a lubricating moisturizer cream. This should be resolved in about 7-10 days. If not, then a visit to a Dermatologist for prescription strength medication may be needed.

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED RESPONSE FROM THE SYSTEM, WHICH YOU CAN IGNORE.

To send pictures, select the file and click "attach file" which is on your page

the fact that the extreme flaking off of my facial skin started after I became more sick & taking treatment is probably not related to the peeling ?????

You said you have "serious heart and lung issues. If this was systemic, it would be over your entire body, not limited to your face.

What treatment are you taking?

Herbal tonics & Doxycycline

Doxycycline can cause photosensitivity which can cause redness/drying/ and flakiness when exposed to the sun. The herbal tonics should not be causing this. If it is related to the Doxy, wearing sunscreen and using the Cortisone/moisturizing lotion will help resolve your skin damage.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

This was a one time question. I am not subscribing to an on-going subscription

There is no need if you don't want to subscribe. This is an automated response from the JustAnswer site.

Has your facial skin flaking lessened?

Dr Stan
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor