Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been breastfeeding for 7 months and my right side…

Customer Question
I have been breastfeeding...

I have been breastfeeding for 7 months and my right side hurts to nurse: there is a red dot beside my nipple and it's hard and red and hurt s so bad. I'm so scared. I wanna keep breastfeeding what could this be

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

It just started yesterday, but today it's like it's gotten even more painful. And touching it hurts so bad, nursing makes me wanna cry

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm allergic to penicillin and anything in the cillin family. That's just about it :(

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dermatology
12/1/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hello. Sorry to hear about this. It sounds like you may have mastitis. This is a common affliction of breastfeeding moms. It can be very painful, but is usually not serious unless the infection is allowed to spread or deepen. You want to avoid an abscess as this is harder to treat and often requires lancing with a scalpel to drain. I would suggest you call your OB's office as soon as possible to get an appointment or specific treatment advice. In the meantime, the recommendation is typically to continue breastfeeding (if you can tolerate it) to keep the milk flowing out instead of getting trapped. Also, use warm compresses on the area every couple hours to promote good blood flow and the arrival of white blood cells to fight any infection. You will likely need antibiotics if this is truly mastitis. The good new is that this typically improves within a few days of starting treatment.

How do the young typically check for masstitis ?

It's a clinical diagnosis, meaning it has to be confirmed by history and physical exam. If your OB (or her nurse) knows you well and feels comfortable diagnosing you over the phone, they can call in a prescription to your pharmacy for you.