Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a "itchy" rash above one ankle that wont go away..FYI…

Customer Question
I have a "itchy"...

I have a "itchy" rash above one ankle that wont go away..FYI I do take Norvasc

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

2 months....sometimes cortisone helps but then comes back

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No new drugs that I can identify as a cause...I did have a cut in that general area back in April and applied peroxide then...

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dermatology
11/30/2017
Dermatologist: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today.

Please attach a picture of the rash?

Has the cut fully healed?

Cut is healed, went to Dr, no infection was present at that time....rash is two inch wide and wraps around leg aprox 3 inches above ankle,

Without a picture, I will need to make some assumptions. You are not diabetic. This is not related to your high blood pressure or Norvasc. Since 1% Hydrocortisone has helped this sounds like you may have a fungal infection. A fungal infection will partially respond to Cortisone and then come back because the inflammation is reduced, so the itching is reduced. After stopping the cortisone, the inflammation returns along with the itching.

May I suggest you purchase over the counter Tinactin and apply this with the 1% Hydrocortisone twice daily for 10 days. This should totally allow this to heal.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

How is your rash responding to the added medication?