Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

How after exposure can genital herpes lesions show up? As in…

Customer Question
How long after exposure...

How long after exposure can genital herpes lesions show up? As in how soon after?

Doctor's Assistant: Can you tell me about all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. itching, rash, new birthmarks or moles)?

I've experienced itching but not in that specific area More or less just all over my body, not really severe though

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, the day after possible exposure I also went through some stomach aches along with gas, some what fatigued, but it is also stomach bug/stressful exam season where I am right now so

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

Nausea yes, I was exposed this past Saturday night, these symptoms showed up Sunday, stomach ache etc stopped yesterday

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dermatology
11/29/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

The usual period of time until primary infection lesions of genital herpes is 3-7 days after the exposure. The lesions may start as early as 2 days, and some prodromal symptoms, such as fever, aching, or nausea, can start between 24 and 48 hours, but the lesions would typically develop over the next couple days. The lesions can also occur as late as 3 weeks after the exposure.

It is also possible that someone that is infected with genital herpes will not develop lesions during the acute phase, so may only have lesions during recurrences of the infection. And the period of time until recurrences can be vary long (months or years).

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Okay so does that mean the symptoms I am suffering from could be something else? I have had no other signs of lesions appearing and it has been 4 days. And also the pimple or lesion which was there the day after had a small amount of white pussy substance which came out when I popped it, if that helps at all.

Yes, it is very possible that the symptoms that you are having are from something else. It is most likely a simple viral infection, which you could have acquired from anyone with whom you had contact over the few days before onset of symptoms.

Okay thank you very much Dr. Love, would herpes have anything to do with full body itching (ie itching in my leg, then arm so on) And can it cause constipation and or green diarrhea? So you would also say that since the stomach ache, etc. all appeared the day after, less than 24hrs that could be ruled out as having anything to do with herpes?

Genital herpes can cause itching in the genital skin prior to the development of lesions, but typically does not cause total body itching. It also typically does not cause diarrhea or constipation.

Okay, would you recommend blood testing or should I just wait it out and see I get the symptoms again?

No. The current recommendation is that testing is not indicated in someone without typical skin lesions. In someone that is very anxious, then getting tested may be reasonable to relieve the anxiety. But in general, there is no need for testing for someone that is not having skin symptoms.

Okay awesome thank you for all of your help, really puts me at ease.

You are very welcome.

If we are done, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Okay just thought of one more thing, if lesions are about to appear will itching appear in one specific spot that the lesions will show up or all over the genital area? And will the itching in that spot be consistant or on and off?

The itching (or tingling) will occur in the general area in which the sores will develop. With the primary infection, there can be multiple sores, so the itching can be relatively diffuse within the genital region. With recurrences, though, herpes causes a single lesion that typically recurs at the same location, and the itching will be more limited and in the area that the sore develops.

Okay would the itching be continuous or would it only come in waves with time in between?

It can be in various patterns, because the severity of manifestations for all symptoms of herpes can vary among individuals. People with more significant manifestations will typically have continuous itching or tingling, while people with less significant manifestations may only have intermittent itching.

Will that itching continue even when the sore or lesion shows up?

Once the sore develops, the associated symptom is more often described as discomfort or mild pain, but in some people, there can continue to be some itching.

OK, when a herpes blister or sore does pop will it dry up soon after or will it continue to stay moist?

It takes several days to progress through the various stages, first a bump, then a blister, then an ulcer, then the ulcer crusts over, then it heals. It will be moist until it crusts over, and that would typically be 2-4 days.

Okay but there is no way that a blister would show up within less then 24hrs after possible exposure ?

Correct. That would be impossible.

Okay awesome thank you so much I think I pretty much tapped the well of knowledge I've needed to figure my situation out dry, thank you for your time you've been a great help. Have a nice rest of the week, if I have any more issues I'll try to contact you.

You are very welcome.

Please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

For sure thanks again

You are welcome.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?