Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

WHAT CAN NYOU TELL ME ABOUT LICHEN PLANUS? IS THERE ANY

Customer Question
WHAT CAN NYOU TELL...

WHAT CAN NYOU TELL ME ABOUT LICHEN PLANUS? IS THERE ANY TREATMENT5 FOR IT. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GO AWAY

Doctor's Assistant: Can you tell me about all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. itching, rash, new birthmarks or moles)?

SEVERE ITCHING, LITTLE PURPILISH BUMPS THAT FEEL LIKE THERE ARE SHARDS OF GLASS IN THEM. BLEEDING

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

NOT THAT I CAN THINK OF.... THEY STARTED SO SUDDENLY

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dermatology
11/27/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. J, Board Certified MD replied 6 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. May I ask how old you are? Where is the lichen planus you are experiencing? Have you had a biopsy?

WHY ARE YOU ANSWERING...I WANTED A DERMATOLOGIST.
Dermatologist: Dr. Scott, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Lichen planus is an idiopathic inflammatory disease of the skin and mucous membranes.

Spontaneous remission of cutaneous lichen planus has been observed in up to two-thirds of patients after 1 year. In some patients, it can take up to 5 years to resolve without medications.

In all instances, the possibility that lichen planus is drug-induced should be considered before embarking on therapy. The diagnosis of lichenoid drug eruption is confirmed by withdrawal of the suspected drug followed by gradual disappearance of the lesions and their recurrence upon re-exposure to the drug. There is a very very long list of medicaitons associated with lichen planus.

Well-described therapies for lichen planus include topical, intralesional and systemic corticosteroids, systemic retinoids, narrowband UVB, PUVA, topical calcineurin inhibitors, antimalarials and, for severe or treatment-resistant cases, oral immunosuppressive agents. For mild disease, symptomatic treatment includes topical corticosteroids and oral antihistamines for reducing pruritus. Topical corticosteroids are particularly popular. Most patients experienced symptomatic improvement in less than 1 month following therapy.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Did you receive my previous answer?