DrK99
DrK99, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  MD, board certified
65718478

I know that tea tree oil can be used straight without

Customer Question

I know that tea tree oil can be used straight without cutting it with another oil. I have folliculitis in large areas. If I used it straight it would be used up much too quickly for my budget. If I cut it with another oil that does not cause acne, it seems apparent to me that it would not be aseffective. Is this the case.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DrK99 replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. Tea tree oil is not going to cure follicultis. Adding another oil is worse. A better choice is over the counter benzoyl peroxide.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How about hibiclense. Benzoyl peroxide didn't work.
Expert:  DrK99 replied 11 months ago.
Hibaclens also a good choice. Try the Benzoyl peroxide wipes
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Never heard of the wipes. Kind of excited because I'm assuming these can be used in only the places where I have the folliculitis - back of thigh, butt, face, and chest. Then could I use them more frequently and while using hibiclens all over my body in the shower? I also have excema and need to use something all over my body. My doctor recommends Eucerin the original Cream not the lotions. I went to the dermatologist and he told me to use Cetaphil because it does not clog pores. I don't know if it's excema or something else, but most recently I have been plagued by itching on my head and in my ears. The ears feel very very dry and I get a lot of dry skin out about every other day. I use kind of a scraper that looks like a Q-tip with rings going around it. I don't use it far into my ear, only about as far as cotton part on a regular Q-tip. I used it yesterday and cleaned it out over my black jacket. I will include picture. It looks like a snowfall every time I move my head and especially when I scratch. I have been using Nizoral for years so this is happening despite the use of Nizoral
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had been using conditioner every time I wash my hair but have gotten away from doing that recently because I'm always late don't have to hurry.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I hit send too soon. I wanted to say that I usually use a leave-in cleanser which is in a spray pump which I spray close to my head and massage into the scalp. Then about once a week I use another in the shower or coconut oil left in overnight or until the next day. Then with the coconut oil I massage it in my scalp every time I think about it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here are the pictures. One from each ear
Expert:  DrK99 replied 11 months ago.
I would avoid coconut oil. It very allergenic.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have been using coconut for quite a while and have not had any problems with being allergic. I know that coconut oil can cause allergic eczema, but my ears itching have been a problem since before I knew that coconut oil can be used topically. Plus my ears have gotten worse since I have not been using coconut oil. I would welcome your input on anything else that might be causing the eczema. I have had my eyes open trying to figure that out. I take medication that makes my mouth, nose, and eyes dry and I know it could be that that is worsening the condition of my dry ears. But again, I have had the itching ears since before the medication
Expert:  DrK99 replied 11 months ago.
Coconut allergy and sensitivity gets worse and worse as that tie goes on
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that's what you are thinking, a coconut oil allergy? But I said it got worse once I stopped using coconut oil and the ears and head itching/dandruff/ ears started before using coconut oil. So what do you suggest as a moisturizer? My head is so burning itchy and I would like help before I get my shower tonight and use something that causes more problems.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got an email asking me to rate your service. Please look over what I have written and answer my questions before I do so
Expert:  DrK99 replied 11 months ago.
You would need to go out to get this but i would use a dandruff type shampoo. I recommend alternating between selsun blue and neutragena t tell. You really need to sudsy and scratch it into the scalp and allow to sit 5 minutes. Rinse well
Expert:  DrK99 replied 11 months ago.
I'm sorry. I did not get notice you responded. You can come back to this page any time for help
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have t-gel and will use tonight. Conditioner? Skin moisturizer for both eczema and foliculitis?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
why do you think the Nizoral stopped helping
Expert:  DrK99 replied 11 months ago.
No conditioner. Different ingredients. That is why you alternate. Nizoral has an antifungal ketoconazole. Selsun blue is selenium sulfide. Neutragena is coal tar.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Skin moisturizer?!?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Head feeling better. Thanks. How long do I have to wait to use conditioner? I feel like my scalp needs to be moisturized? And what skin moisturizer?
Expert:  DrK99 replied 11 months ago.
You shouldnt be using conditioner at all that will just block the pores.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please answer each of the things that I talk about in my communications with you.
1. Aren't there conditioners that are Non-Comedogenic?
2.And you haven't answered me about skin conditioner - is that because you would say the same thing about clogging pores?
I went to a dermatologist a ways back and he said that Cetaphil does not clogged pores. On areas that I am not prone to folliculitis, I was using Eucerin but was trying to go to something more natural. Eucerin was great on my caves, arms, hands, feet.
3.Do you have any comments about skin moisturizers??
4.Back in the beginning you said that tea tree oil does not cure folliculitis. Is there anything that does cure folliculitis, or is it all just treating it?
Expert:  DrK99 replied 11 months ago.
1. A hair conditioner can never be completely noncomedogenic due to the nature of its function
2. Cetaphil is ok for your condition but should not be used on the scalp
3. What is your question about skin moisturizers? They are not for use in the hair
4. The treatment of folliculitis is generally salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. And an oral antibiotic if indicated.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I know skin moisturizers are not for hair, but I was also asking you about skin - exzema and folliculitis. See below:
Text box 5
- (inferred question): Given that I have excema as well as folliculitis, what moisturizer would you recommend?
I wrote:
" I also have excema and need to use something all over my body. My doctor recommends Eucerin the original thick Cream not the lotions. I went to the dermatologist and he told me to use Cetaphil because it does not clog pores."From text box 9
- inferred question - what can I use for itching dry ears?
I wrote:
" my ears itching have been a problem since before I knew that coconut oil can be used topically. Plus my ears have gotten worse since I have not been using coconut oil."Text box 11
I wrote:
"So that's what you are thinking, a coconut oil allergy? But I said it got worse once I stopped using coconut oil and the ears and head itching/dandruff/ ears started before using coconut oil. So what do you suggest as a moisturizer?"From text box 15
"Skin moisturizer for both eczema and foliculitis?From text box18
" Skin moisturizer? "Text box 19
" And what skin moisturizer?"