Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I had my baby in August 2016 and about 4 months later I

Customer Question
Hello,I had my baby in...
Hello,I had my baby in August 2016 and about 4 months later I experienced Talogen Effluvium. Then, my hair started to grow in which wa great. Now, 2.5 months ago, I noticed some of the pieces that grew in, broke. And also, I'm going through the process again. It's all falling out again. My child is now 17 months. Is this normal for TE to fluctuate after childbirth? I thought it only happens once? The only thin I could think of is 2.5 months ago we went on a trip where it was very hot (35 degrees) but that's it.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dermatology
11/25/2017
Dermatologist: DrK99, Doctor (other than dermatologist) replied 7 months ago
DrK99
DrK99, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. No you are not still having issues with your hair due to pregnancy. Your hair is in the same telegenic phase only during pregnancy. You should see your dr as thyroid disease is very common after delivery
I had a full blood tests and my thyroid level was 2 which was normal. Could the vacation I went on trigger this again? Could hot weather trigger it? When I think about what happened 3.5-3 months ago, that's the only thing. What else could it be if not thyroid and are there any other thyroid tests?
Hot weather and being on vacation are not causes. I would suggest seeing an endocrinologist. Yes there are other thyroid tests of course but if your tsh was 2 they are not indicated
Thanks. One other thing, could stress also cause this again? I have been under a lot of stress lately with work and baby.
Stress can certainly cause issues with hair growth
With a thryoid level of 2, would it rule out any hormonal imbalance? My primary care physician did not want to send me for additional tests because she said there were no markers for hormonal imbalances.
It rules out thyroid disease. Not all hormonal imbalance