Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had a small pimple on the tip of my tongue for about…

Customer Question
I have had a...

I have had a small white pimple on the tip of my tongue for about a year now and does not seem to go away. What might be the symptom of that?

Doctor's Assistant: Can you tell me about all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. itching, rash, new birthmarks or moles)?

It does not itch or irritate

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing specific. I have been smoking for almost 10 years

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dermatology
11/23/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
If you have a picture of this spot could you please upload it here? That would help me better assess what it could be.
I attached a photo of the spot
Thank you for the image. Do you feel this has grown in size?
It has stayed the same size

If it has stayed the same size then the most likely cause of it is either a benign growth of tissue on the tongue or an HPV lesion. If it's the latter you can have it biopsied and at the same time removed.

I was diagnosed with HPV about a year ago on my gentiles. I was told it would go away as soon as the doctor burned my white spots on them. Do you think it is most likely caused from HPV?

It wouldn't be the same HPV as what you had on your genitals most likely. But there are many strains of HPV and this could be one of them. Most likely it is HPV because 80% of lesions in the mouth are from HPV. But just like the groin, if they are removed then you don't have anything to worry about.

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding this that I may address.

Otherwise please click on the rating button when ready.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.
​Dr. Mo

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD