Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My wife has bad toe nail fungus. She has seen a podiatrist…

My wife has bad...

My wife has bad toe nail fungus. She has seen a podiatrist in Napa, CA and undergone several laser treatments with no relief. If fact the fungus on her big toe has spread to the rest of her foot and some to her other foot. HELP

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

What!?, she has toe nail fungus, ugly toe nail fungus. I guess with cracking and itching.

11/22/2017
vakularen
vakularen, Doctor (other than dermatologist)

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Toe fungal infections are treated by oral antifungal drugs like Terbinafine/Itraconazole(Sporonex) taken for a period of 4-6 months .Some drugs like Itraconazole may be used as pulse therapy(the drug is taken in a higher dose for one week every month).Use of antifungal nail polish like Ciclopirox/Penlac applied to the nails and surrounding skin once daily will help.Ruling out an treating any diseases like diabetes/thyroid disorders which lower immunity or stopping prolonged use of steroids is essential.If the nail is badly infected,it may need to be removed toallow growth of a healthy nail.

vakularen