Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a rash that comes and goes quickly. Sometimes arises…

I have a rash...

I have a rash that comes and goes quickly. Sometimes arises in the morning. Looks like circles and blotches on forearm and back of legs. Applying Triamcinolone doesn’t help, but applying Lotrimin will cause it to go away in hours. This has manifested itself in just the last 2 months.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling. Lotrimin makes it go away, but it comes on quickly, as in overnight. The apply Lotrimin ... then within a few hours the red circles and blotches are much better.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take prednisone 5mg per day, have for most of my life. Have HBP Type II Diabetes (both controlled).

11/20/2017
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

do you have a picture of the rash?

Dr. Phil, I do not at this time. I went to a urgent care physician, thinking it might be ringworm, but the dismissed that, saying that ringworm doesn’t come and go so quickly (it takes weeks, in some cases). Yesterday, I awoke with no issues, went to church, came home to change clothes and there it was. Inside forearm, back of legs and on my back. Generally the rash is red, slightly raised, but in many cases characterized by circular crescents. I use Triamcinolone cream for occasional eczema breakouts, but those are very rare. When I used the Triamcinolone on this rash it didn’t do any good. But, thinking it MIGHT be ringworm, I tried Lotrimin and sure enough within a few hours the rash had nearly vanished, leaving only little traces of red spots. I reported this to the Urgent Care Doctor who told me that it was because Lotrimin has a corticosteroid in it (but the ingredients on the packaging do not list any). It doesn’t seem to be associated with anything in particular. Right now I’m running with a diagnosis of “dermatitis” but it’s manifestation and how Lotrimin seems to make it go away, tells me it’s something else. However, I can’t see it being ringworm that comes on ruing a morning and is literally gone by 5pm.

it sounds like granuloma annulare

look this up and get back to me

The “perforating” looks close, except the picture I saw, the circles seemed too large. I guess it’s very odd that this started in the last couple of months, doesn’t seem to have a regularity, and literally comes and goes in a few hours. Clotrimazole seems to eradicate it, but Triamcinolone doesn’t? Much of what I read was talking about the Granuloma annulare coming and going within weeks or months. Mine is literally shows up in the morning, put some Lotrimin on it, and it’s gone shortly after noon. Would that be consistent with this? If so, does this manifest itself when blood sugar is higher? (I did see there was a correlation with diabetes). I’ve have that condition for about 3 years now and it’s well controlled with Metformin. Thank you for your direction on this! I was looking about for allergies to shampoo or foods or something!

It could be consistent. Yes.

It could also be a variant of annulare

Thank you for your help.

welcome :)

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor