Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

Some background info, I have asthma and bad allergies. I

have an allergist/immunologist, lung doctor...
Some background info, I have asthma and bad allergies. I have an allergist/immunologist, lung doctor, ENT and a General Doc. I have anaphalactic allergies to peanuts and tree nuts. I have mild allergy to soy. I have been newly diagnosed with a latex rubber allergy (IGG& IGE) and latex fruit syndrome. The fruits I'm allergic to are banana, avocado, kiwi, pineapple, melon, mango. I had surgery for a broken bone over a month ago. I have been avoiding my allergens to the best of my ability. No lotions, no detergent change. Organic cotton is worn only.My issue? I've been waking up every morning with hives on my hands, then it got worse and went to my palms. I threw out a ton of my personal belongings in case they had latex in them. I still have hives now three weeks later. They have gotten worse and are everywhere and they come and go. My stomach has a rash that started first (I've had this before and no one knows what it is). I now get hot at night and feel unbearably hot with hives and itchy. I don't run a fever ever more than 99 degrees. I have no idea what this is. I am up to four benadryl per day with my Zyrtec. I'm basically using hydrocortisone as body lotion now.
11/20/2017
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Were any allergy tests done?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
OK sounds good. Thank you.

Were you advised by your doctor for any blood work or allergy tests?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Skin test for Banana, Avocado, Coconut, Quinoa, and two of my vitamins. Previously an adult 60 Food Allergy Panel.
Then blood test for Allergen Specific IGG Latex (H. Braziliensis) and Allergen Specific IGG latex. I was also tested for paprika, melons, kiwi and latex IGE via blood. Both IGG and IGE were positive. Kiwi was high. She called it a soft call but I have all the markers for latex allergy (including swollen around band aid branded band aids).I was also given the test for grasses and pollens about five years ago.All the positives (I put the number after it for what I'm allergic to the histamine control was a 7). I was positive for Corn -4, Pea-4, White potato-3, Orange-4, Pineapple-4, Watermelon-4, Black pepper-4, Barley-3, Sesame-4, Bakers yeast-4, Beef-3, Clam-4, Coconut-4, Rice-9, Soybean-5.Past history of anaphalaxis and Epi pen use for tree nut and peanut accidental ingestion. They didn't test me because it was too risky.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
she told me if I never had an issue with a food to keep eating it. But the items of concern were the latex fruits and rice and nuts. So I've eliminated all those.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The first test showed zero for banana, but they re-did it a year ago. I was Banana -9, Avocado-5, Coconut-4, Quinoa-0, vitamins-0.

A chronic urticaria is treated as following (many have been done for you);

1) A consultation with an allergist, already done.
2) Avoid foods with known food allergies.
3) Avoidance of mental stress over tiredness, alcohol, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and tight-fitting garments.
4) Psychologic stress can trigger, so taking care of those factors.
5) Night time symptoms are helped by lukewarm bathing and keeping the temperature of the bedroom slightly low.
6) Itching is significantly helped by menthol and phenol cream.
7) Non sedating antihistamines. The dose may need to be doubled or quadrupled.
8) Hydroxyzine or doxepin in night time.
9) Colchicine or dapsone is given who do not respond to above.
10) Autoimmune urticaria should be investigated and one may benefit from methotrexate or cyclosporine.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
What is the difference between chronic and autoimmune uticartia? Any further tests I should ask for? Which autoimmune is that a symptom of? I've tested negative for lupus and rheumatoid arthritis and negative (full panel) for thyroid. Can I mix Hydroxyzine with benadryl and zyrtec? I have an old prescription for it. Thank you! Is there anything else it could be too? Even if unlikely?

You are very welcome.

You can take Hydroxyzine with the Benadryl and Zyrtec. Though there may be sedation and drowsiness. So you may need to avoid driving or operating machinery.

Autoimmune urticaria is due to body's own protein.

You may need to get full autoimmune panel including thyroid antibodies. Many times first assessment may not show raised antibodies which gradually build up. Autoimmune urticaria is due to body's own tissue identified as foreign protein.

Allergies and autoimmune diseases have some relationship and many times may need lot of patience for diagnosis (due to recurrent probing and testing) and treatment.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
OK thank you so much. I did have four thyroid panels in the last two years (T3/T4& Reverse) all normal. But I can ask for another follow up one. Is the thyroid antibody test different from the TSH/T3/T4,etc? I am almost done, sorry many questions. I've been to so many doctors. Shot in the dark any clue how to figure out what allergen is causing this? Is it most likely latex or food? It started in the hands and almost seemed to go away but came back with a vengeance and I didn't do anything different.

Thyroid antibody tests are very different;

https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/thyroid-antibodies/tab/test/

No problems about the questions.

The major causes of urticaria are;

1) Foods or food additives

2) Inhalation, ingestion of, or contact with antigens

3) Drug reactions

4) Infections: bacterial, fungal, viral, and helminthic/parasites

5) Insects (papular urticaria)

6) Cold urticaria

7) Aquagenic (water) urticaria

8) Solar (Sun) urticaria

9) Chronic autoimmune (problems of immunity) urticaria

10) Chronic idiopathic (unknown reason) urticaria

So it is a sort of detective work to find the cause.

My best,

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Oh wow. I kind of had a feeling it was going to be a wide array. I appreciate the lists. I can go through them and rule them out one by one. And I can say I had a recommendation for a thyroid antibody test. Thank you so much! Have a nice night and holiday weekend.

You are very welcome.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Thank you for the follow up. I am not 100% but I am doing better. I will be getting further lab tests and hopefully the answer is there. I put the rating in, let me know if it doesn't show up for some reason. It should be there. Thanks again!
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon