Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I don’t know what else to do. I’ve been getting these bumps…

Customer Question
I don’t know what else...
I don’t know what else to do.I’ve been getting these bumps that form into puss filled cyst that have been forming around the mouth area for months now. Some of them form scars as well. They usually start off as a white small bump that isn’t visible unless I stretch the skin and smile. Then eventually these white lumps will turn red and form a larger red lump that is a bit sore when pressure is applied which eventually turns into a puss filled Whitehead cyst. I have had a herpes blood test and the results came back negative so I hope herpes is out of the question. My doctor perscribed me some bacitracin zinc ointment and it doesn’t seem to be working. I have washed and changed my razor and washed my electric trimmer for shaving which my doctor also recommended. They still appear every other week and it’s very stressful and embarrassing to deal with. Idk what else to do.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dermatology
11/20/2017
Dermatologist: vakularen, Doctor (other than dermatologist) replied 5 months ago
vakularen
vakularen, Doctor (other than dermatologist)

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.These appear to be secondary to a recurrent bacterial infection.This is also called Adult Acne,changing your toothpastye and aftewr shave products to avoid Sodium Laureth Sulphate(SLS and fluorinated toothpaste which can provoke such acne.Use of a good antibiotic like Augmentin,Minocycline/Clindamycin may help.Wash your face with warm water and hypoallergen soap will help.The cause may be hormonal in nature ,Avoid touching your face frequently,avoid squeezing the pimples,You need to see a dermatologist who can do a skin swab test to check for bacteria.Avoiding all steroid containing products ,avoid scrubbing of face and mouth area.Use of tacrolimus/Pimecrolimus,Adapalane,and Isotretinoin may help in curing the condition along with oral and topical antibiotics.Perioral Dermatitis may be a chronic condition which may need long term attention.

Okay so i should start by getting a toothpaste that is non fluoridated and SLS and wash my face with warm water and hypoallergenic soap daily? What can I apply to these infected areas that will heal them quick and help out in the meantime until i get these antibiotics from a dermatologist because it will probably be a while before i even see one. The last time I went to the doctor, i was told that it could be due to shaving and due to not changing or washing my razor, ect... But i feel like theres more to it than that. Can i continue to apply this zinc bacterium ointment that i was prescribed? Are there any natural ways to cure this and keep it from reoccurring?

Clindamycin ,erythromycin or metronidazole applied locally will help. Avoiding moisturisers,foundation and cleansers will help.Avoiding alcohol and spicy food(these dilate blood vessels) will help.Oral antibiotics for 4 -6 weeks,avoiding frequently touching the face will help.

Don't i need a prescription from a doctor to get these? Are there any over the counter creams/ointments or even natural ingredients that i can apply because that seems to be the only option at the moment. Since i dont have a doctors appointment for a while.

THese are prescription medicines and will not be available OTC.

Just avoiding touching the face,natural products which will help will include Apple Cider Vinegar,Grapefruit Seed Extract, Colloida l Silver,Aloe Vera,Calendula ointment,plain Yoghurt,Honey,turmeric and Neem oil are useful .

After a day of applying honey, apple cider vinegar and aloe vera gel the bump has formed a white head. Do i continue to apply these remedies?

The white head is suggestive of a bacterial infection,applying honey and apple cider will not cause harm.Please do rate my answer positively as4 or 5 stars(the stars are above and to the right of your answer box),thank you.

is the apple cider vinegar and honey actually working to heal the area if it causes a white head to form and should i keep applying these to the area?

The formation of a white head is due to blocking of the pores by dead skin and bacteria.I do not know if the application of these products is helpful or not but honey is a known antiseptic.

vakularen
vakularen