Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had itchy skin without a rash happening for about a…

Customer Question
I have had itchy...

I have had itchy skin without a rash happening for about a year. I have been taking Reactine and it tends to help until I have another flare up.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

I don’t have a rash, but when I scratch I get large welts on my body. Once I take a Reactine I feel better within 20 minutes and I’m usually fine for a couple of days.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don’t think so. My mom has diabetes and also used to get itchy in her legs before she was diagnosed but I haven’t had any other problems other than being itchy

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dermatology
11/20/2017
Dermatologist: DocPhilMD, Doctor replied 8 months ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

still need help?

I have been having this problem for over a year. When I scratch, I don’t get a rash, my body just gets covered with large welts. I have changed laundry soap multiple times to figure it out, but now I have just been taking Reactine to help with the itch. This normally solves the problem for a couple days and then I have a flare up again. Not sure what to do other than that. Please help!

Do you take any other meds?

Nope, just the Reactine when I need it.

Do you have a picture of the rash?

This is the top of my thigh. I just came in from walking outside, so I’m not sure if it’s the temperature change that is causing it?This is just from me scratching in the last 10 minutes. It’s almost unbearable.

you basically have a tactile urticaria

this is when your body releases histamine in response to touch

have you tried anti histamines?

Dermatologist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 8 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

I see you have asked for a second opinion.

this looks like bad eczema and dermatographic urticaria

the skin looks very inflamed and reactive

you need to calm this down with using moisturizers daily and you can also use 1% hydrocortisone cream twice a day to decrease skin inflammation

you can also take oral antihistamines such as allegra 180mg daily or claritin

and you can use 250-50mg of benadryl at night time to help calm down the skin

if the skin continues to be inflamed like this, you will need to see a doctor and get stronger prescription pills and stronger prescription steroid creams to help calm down your skin

let me know if you have questions.