Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a fungal infection on the head of my penis a few

months ago after taking antibiotics...
I had a fungal infection on the head of my penis a few months ago after taking antibiotics for a few weeks. I was treated with Nystatin and Diflucan. After the treatment, tiny pin sized bumps started to show up on the head. No pain or irritation or itching... just... weird looking. Do these look like something to worry about?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/18/2017
DermDoc
DermDoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

History of unprotected sex?

Any penile discharge?

Please upload a picture to review.

Are you currently taking any medications?

Any other medical history?

Waiting for your response.
Thanks

I have only had unprotected sex with my girlfriend but she has been in a combat zone the last six months so nothing recently. I am taking lisinopril/hydrochlorothiazide for blood pressure. No discharge or pain. No other issues of note.

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

I have reviewed your pictures.

Well as you describe,these sound penile pearly papules and especially since they have been present so long, are suggestive of normal skin glands which can be visible on the head of the penis. These glands can get irritated by dry skin,friction from clothes, masturbation or sex and can get prominent.

Irritation can be caused also by:

not rinsing soap completely off ofyour penis after showering
using scented soaps to clean your penis
using bar soap that dries out the skin
using scented lotions or sprays on your penis

Such bumps are harmless.

Clean the area with DIAL soap.
You should avoid frequent washing.
And keep the area dry and clean.
Wear loose fitted cotton clothes to prevent friction.

Avoid any scented soap,lotion on affected area.

If your symptoms'll persist then see your doctor for further evaluation and management.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s request to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Doctor, thank you for your response. I have one final question; what is your level of certainty based on the pictures you have seen? I am asking because the next dermatology appointment I will be able to get isn’t until April. Thank you.
Also, does this usually resolve?

Thanks for the follow-up.

As they are harmless and you can wait till April and I really assure you definitely that these are not STD or any other infection.

You should try such self care measures as we have discussed earlier.

Usually no treatment is required.

Still you can discuss it with your dermatologist for treatment only for cosmetic reasons.

You can continue your sexual life with it safely.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.

Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

DermDoc
DermDoc, Doctor