Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My penis glans has been swollen and I'm itchy on the anal…

My penis glans has...

My penis glans has been swollen and I'm itchy on the anal area what should I do to get rid of it

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

A month and a half , with creme it feels better but it doesn't go away

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I used to have scabies I believe I still have it but it's very minor and my girlfriend has excema and we've had unprotected sex

11/15/2017
DermDoc
DermDoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Which creams have you tried?

Excessive sweating?

Constipation?

Rash on glans of penis and around anus?

Please upload a picture of glans to review.

Any other medical history like Diabetes?

Are you taking any medications?

Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

I tried mostly antifungal creams, antibiotics, and no sweating , I do eat bad, a lot of junk food , never water, I do have relatives with diabetes , but I haven't checked myself to see if I have it , but I am tired all the time , fatigue , I'm suffering from anxiety as well , not very healthy person
Before all this happen my penis wasn't working it was just dead , no movements like usual then I took some testosterone and it help a little then after two weeks it was normal

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,it sounds Balanitis.

Irritation in the area due to rough sex,friction.

Irritation can be caused also by:

not rinsing soap completely off of your penis after showering
using scented soaps to clean your penis
using bar soap that dries out the skin
using scented lotions or sprays on your penis

Now I would recommend some self care measures like
Do cool water sitz bath with betadine solution twice a day for 5-10 minutes.
And afterwards,apply OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream mixed with bacitracin ointment twice a day.

Clean the area with DIAL soap and use OTC Abzorb powder afterwards.
You should avoid frequent washing.
And keep the area dry and clean.
Wear loose fitted cotton clothes to prevent friction.
Take OTC Motrin and Claritin for few days.

Abstain from sexual activity for awhile.

Avoid any scented soap,lotion on affected area.

You should apply OTC Prep H around anus.

Also hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.

You should start a multivitamin supplement to boost your immunity.

And start a probiotic.

You should check your blood sugar levels also as Diabetes can result in slow healing and prone to infections.

If your symptoms 'll persist then see your doctor for further evaluation and management.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s request to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

This the glans

I have reviewed your picture.

And it's Balanitis.

And you should try such self care measures as we have discussed earlier for 1-2 weeks.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.

Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Does balanitis symptoms spread to anus and thats what makes it itch

If it's caused by infection then it can spread to anus.

However as you have already tried various creams with no relief so your symptoms are associated with friction,irritation induced on both affected areas.

You should try OTC Prep H around anus..

If your symptoms'll persist then see your doctor for further evaluation and management.

Hope this helps.

DermDoc
DermDoc, Doctor
How long should I leave the cream and the ointment before I clean it with dial soap and put powder and then how long should I leave the powder ?
I'm getting these red spots now is that a good sign that it's reacting

Cream 'll absorb in skin.

You clean the area with dial soap in morning and then after dry it properly after 15 minutes use powder.

Try such self care measures.

Do I clean the powder off? Or will it absorb Also , did u look at the new pic with the red spots , that's new ,never had that until I started doing what you told me to do , is it a good thing ?

If you have such red spots on penis after taking such measures then you should avoid powder.

Apply cream after cleaning area with DIAL soap.

Hope this helps.

I checked my glucose level and it's 208 do you think that diabetes could be the cause

Yes high blood glucose levels can delay healing and make prone to infection.

What should I do to lower it down I've been drinking a lot of water but it makes me urine a lot and because of the balanitis it hurts to pee

You need to get a prescription of medications like Metformin,glimepiride,etc name a few to lower your blood sugar levels.

It's very essential to keep your glucose levels under control.

You need to undergo urinalysis also.

It is advised to undergo HbA1C as well
HbA1c is a test that measures the amount of glycated hemoglobin in your blood.
If your HbA1c is above 7%, it means that your diabetes control may not be as good as it should be.
For further reading -
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003640.htm

For specific diabetic diet -http://www.medicinenet.com/diabetic_diet/article.htm

Hope this helps.

Do I need to let it breathe by cleaning it and leaving it alone because i always have cream and ointment on it all day , I feel like if it’s always moist it might not let the infection heal
DermDoc
DermDoc
DermDoc, Doctor