Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had an episode of genital herpes recently, and now I…

Customer Question
I have had an...

I have had an episode of genital herpes recently, and now I have acture skin pain at the top of my left groin and between my genitals and my leg. The glands are swollen still, would this be the cause? It seems to be most sore where a vein runs under the skin

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Yeah there is definite swelling, not huge, but visible, nothing makes it worse or better, just very sensitive skin and also pain in what seems to be veins/tubes that run over the groin and into the genital area

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dermatology
11/8/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. There are a few conditions which can cause this sort of pain in the leg and the thigh region. Inflammation of the lymph nodes can cause this problem, sometimes the lymph nodes can stay inflamed even after a bout of genital herpes or it could be that there is a superimposed bacterial infection of the lymph nodes. this would be diagnosed with a simple clinical examination and treated with antibiotics. A bacterial infection should be ruled out first of all.

Secondly, it is also possible that there is damage to the nerves in the area because of the herpes which is known as neuralgia. This can lead to burning, tingling or even a sharp stabbing pain in the region. The diagnosis is made with a clinical examination and can be treated with medications like lyrica or neurontin.

Now at the moment i think since there is a swelling, that should be evaluated first of all for enlarged lymph nodes and if they are found, then you should be tested for bacterial infections and if necessary a biopsy can be done of the lymph nodes. Once those are ruled out then the nerve issue should be considered.

I would suggest that you start using OTC anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 400 mg thrice daily and also use OTC supplements like alpha lipoic acid, acetyl L carnitine and vitamin b12 which can be helpful.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!