Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

Was diagnosed with grovers, have been sick with this for…

Customer Question
Was diagnosed with grovers...

Was diagnosed with grovers, have been sick with this for almost 2 yrs. without much help. skin feel crawly and have pinprick feelings in feet and abdomen. recently pres. a stronger steriod creme. i know drs. give accutane but was wondering if erythromycin may work because has less side effects. if so how long do i take?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

Almost 2 yrs. had gone to a derm to have a place on my scalp chkd. he removed and the crawling and biting sensations started that week, was told probably hit a nerve and treated me with ketone and cortisol for 2 mths. then went back. treated me for scabies for a few mths with permethrin. then ivermectin. my allergies then got so bad i had to go to an allergy dr. he put me on zyrtec 2 tms a day benadryl as needed. singular. now take 1 zyrtec and 1 benadryl a day. skin has lost elasticity. have also lost alot of muscle.skin is also brusing easily now. extremely fatigued. and have lost 45 pds. now only weigh 97.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that i can think of. i told him i had an allergic reaction to my leg braces in my mid 30s and was on prednisone and erythrimycin for 8 mths. to clear my legs. became allergic to pl

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dermatology
became allergic to the plastic my leg braces were made of. also rash is from neck down to top of legs on front and full back, rash comes and goes. white things come out of skin after i bathe. derm said it was probably where the poors were clogged from skin disorder. not puss. husband and i also had home treated for springtails which had gotten in my clothing. drs. say it had nothing to do with this. had been in yard alot, i scoot on ground because it is hard to bend over and work with crutches. had also gotten quiet a few mosquito bites. dont think related but telling you everything i can.
11/8/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 3 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

triple antibiotic ointment applied to the skin has helped some patients with Grovers

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17725068

A course of tetracycline or an oral antifungal medication such as itraconazole helps some patients.

you can try erythromycin for 2-4 weeks and see if that helps

make sure you take any antibiotics with food in your stomach

you should let your doctors know you are taking antibitoics.

you can take a probiotic as well to help prevent diarrhea from antibiotics.

Methotrexate and etanercept that also have been reported to help.

let me know if you have questions.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician