Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have perioral dermatitis. I have seen a Dr, who has given…

Hi, I have...

Hi, I have perioral dermatitis. I have seen a Dr, who has given me a course of Doxycyline 100mg daily for 3 weeks. I saw him 2 weeks ago and since the dermatitis has spread beneath my jaw line and up and beneath my nose. Should I ask for a referral to a Dermatologist or are you able to provide me with advise. thank you.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

It started in a very small area on my chin in May. I saw a GP then and was given a cortisone cream which didn't help. went back and was given the same thing. In the last 8 weeks it as spread quite considerably.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. no known allergies, no medication and no illness of note

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/29/2017
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Could you please post a photo on this page for me?

I am ready for work and have makeup on to conceal it. I am a nurse and have sort a medical officers review who has confirmed it is dermatitis. I am an early again tomorrow and could send a photo then
do you have any suggestions of treatment?

OK

It sounds more like cheilitis and that's a fungal rather than a bacterial condition

If I were your doctor I would treat it with a combination of ketoconazole cream and oral Diflucan

Please let me know if you need any more information

Do I need a script for the above or is it something I can get over the counter

You can try over the counter clotrimazole cream--it's a first cousin of ketoconazole

Looking at some images of Chelilitis, my skin condition doesn't affect the lips or inside the lip.

It doesn't have to me just in or around the lips

Have attached an image of what it looks like
this is how it looked in May, now this rash is all along and beneath my chin and toward the nares.

Got it--thanks

That would definitely correspond to fungal

Give the clotrimazole cream a try

Thank you, ***** *****

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice