Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Insect Bite Spreading (see photos) - we are time JA users;

Insect Bite Spreading (see photos)...
Insect Bite Spreading (see photos) - Hello, we are long time JA users; great service. Approx 48 hours ago, I played golf at an Audubon Society certified course...lots of nature, woods, native grasses, water, etc. It was a warm day were plenty of flying insects, yellowjackets, bees, etc. I wore long pants and short sleeves, but don't recall being bitten or stung by anything. -- That evening, Friday evening, I feel asleep on the couch watching TV. We seem to have a fair number of spiders in our historic house, but we are in MIchigan, and don't have any that are reported to pose harm to humans (no widows, recluse, etc.). When I woke up on the couch to go to bed, I noticed I had 2 tiny bites of some kind on my upper arm. They kind of itched like a mosquito bite might, but did not seem like mosquito bites for some reason. Anyway, they looked about the same yesterday, Saturday, and didn't bother me. Today while getting dressed, I noticed that the area of redness has become more of a patch, instead of just the 2 red bumps and very localized redness. Say, now we are bigger than a quarter, whereas before the area of the 2 bites was more like a nickel. And now, there are red streaks starting to stream away from the bite areas. I feel pretty normal for a Sunday (not tired like I have an infection for example), and the area doesn't hurt or itch any different than before. I had forgotten about the bites honestly, until I saw the red streaks. -- I don't think I was in contact with any poison ivy/poison plants while golfing, and they wouldn't have touched that area anyway, since it would have been covered by my golf shirt. -- I personally believe they are some kind of spider bite that happened when I fell asleep on the couch. That room definitely has spiders. Again, see photos. -- I'm a 43 year old male, active and in generally good health...the primary exception being that I appear to have an auto-immune disorder, (undiagnosed) Rheumatoid Arthritis (my knuckles started swelling 1.5 years ago, and spread to both hands. Although we have great insurance, we are natural-health oriented, and I woudn't accept the mainstream drugs/treatments for RA, so I figured no sense seeing a doc about it. Just try to fix it myself through various methods. My natural treatments have seemed to hold the RA at bay for 1.5 years, not getting better or worse. Your thoughts/recommendations on the bites/redness? Thanks
10/22/2017
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hello I'm Dr Chip

These don't look like insect bites

It's obviously some areas of an allergic skin reaction to something but doesn't look like poison ivy or poison oak

For now I suggest you try oral benadryl or Claritin and topical Caladryl lotion and they should clear in a couple of days

Please let me know if you need any more information

Hi Dr. Chip. Thanks for the reply. I said spider bite because when this first happened, 36 hours ago, there were two tiny little pinprick size marks, about a quarter inch apart, each developing a little swelling, like a tiny mosquito bite almost, And a little redness or rash about the size of a nickel total. Yesterday it seemed the same. It was just today I noticed the area enlarging and the streaks of red running away from the central area. This streaking is a normal reaction for something like this, and no additional concern, Provided that no additional symptoms develop?

If it was a spider bite it obviously wasn't a brown recluse since it would be much worse by now

But I see no cellulitis--infection--here so there's still no need to worry

We don’t have recluse or widow spiders here. And OK good, we will just say it’s a reaction to something. Last question, and I appreciate the help, in your opinion, what would be the reason for taking the drugs, if this is not bothering me? I’m guessing it will clear up whether I take anything or not, maybe faster if I do. What was your thinking on the drugs more for speed, or to prevent it from getting worse?

No need then to treat it in any way

Those would just be to alleviate any itching

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Super. Have a good Sunday. I will rate five stars, and request you again in the future.

Thanks and please call on me anytime

Good Morning Dr. Chip. I'm adding a few updated photos of this upper arm bite/reaction, whatever it happens to be. It's changing for sure, if you compare photos from a few days ago. It's a little itchier now, but still not an issue. Any additional thoughts, or just keep giving it time? Thanks

Hi again

Nothing worrisome--just give it time

Not that it matters, but even with the two darker spots developing clearly, does your intuition still say these are not a bite? Thx

I really don't think it's a bite

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice