Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My penis foreskin becomes swollen and itchy after sex with…

My penis foreskin becomes swollen...
My penis foreskin becomes swollen and itchy after sex with my current girlfriend. We have unprotected sex and I am uncircumcised.
10/18/2017
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Hello are you

Well there could be two main reasons.

1. Friction during sex , usually when intercourse done without adequate lubrication.

2. Fungal infection.

You can apply vaseline topically , take benadryl tablet and give it rest ( avoid sex) - see how it goes.

If it doesnt improve then topical isoconazole or clotrimazole can be applied for possible fungal infection.

For now just wait and watch with vaseline and benadry.

Let me know if you have any more queries

It seems to be swollen after sex and it's just around the foreskin. It looks like a rash. Could this be an STD or something I should seek medical attention about?
the swollen part is fairly isolated.
I AM circumcised I'm sorry I think it autocorrected
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hello I'm Dr Chip

You asked for a different expert

This doesn't sound like any STD including balanitis--a fungal infection

It sounds more like a mild case of eczema that is aggravated by sex

Nothing too serious and I'd suggest for now taking a Claritin daily for two weeks and applying topical hydrocortisone cream to keep it from occurring

Please let me know if you need any more information

Thanks Dr. Chip.The swollen portion of my foreskin is what is bothering me and the itching obviously

I understand

But if you'll do as I suggest that should be over with in a fairly short time

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

The two red rashes are somewhat isolated. It's not like it's the entire foreskin.

That's very typical of eczema

But I promise you this isn't anything serious

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice