Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

Could it take melanoma 9 months to grow back? I had a spot…

Could it take melanoma 9...
Could it take melanoma 9 months to grow back? I had a spot under my toenail but I picked it off; now 9 months have gone by and i have it again, and one on my other toenail too.
Here is a better picture of one of the spots. This is the toe that had the discoloration 9 months ago until I picked it off
10/16/2017
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

how old are you?

21-22 years old

No that is from the nail growing back

plus you can't pick off a melanoma

What do you mean it's the nail growing back? I have had a nail there for a long time now. Is it possible for melanoma to take 9 months to make another appearance?

yes, that is possible but I don't think this is melanoma

that brown area is from picking then

I'm sorry I thought it was growing back

Would it be more likely to have it grow sooner? And I stopped picking it months ago, haven't done anything to the area. I saw this 2 days ago.

No it wouldn't be more likely to have it grow sooner

My pinky toe nail grows very thick. It's 5x more thick than the average nail, and sometimes I forget to file it down so it stays that thick. Could this cause bruising? Because there is something on the other toe too

It could be a fungal infection

onychomycosis

I got tested for fungal infection, it wasn't that

Interesting

it could be something like psoriasis too

Could it be a bruise? I also have a black spot on my other toe

yes it could be

or a little scab

the nail has some blood vessels too

Because this has happened 3 times on the same nails, the pinky toenail. Could the thickness if it make it easily bruise when I walk?
most definitely.
Should I be worried about This? Does it look like melanona?

No I don't think you should be worried

doesn't look at all like melanoma

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for this question.

I strive for 5 star service for all customers.

If you have more questions, just reply. :)

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor