Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I’m a 23 y/o woman who has two moles that I’m worried are…

I’m a 23 y/o woman...
I’m a 23 y/o woman who has two moles that I’m worried are cancerous. My dad has had to have them removed, so I know it runs in the family. The first mole is near my collar bone, has always been oval, raised, and light brown in color. For the past few months I’ve noticed that it now has a dry, rough texture, The second mole is on my stomach, has always been dark brown, but has changed in shape and size. It is still (mostly, but not perfectly: wider in the middle and the bigger section is slightly more to one side) symmetrical with definite borders and a uniform color, but looks at though it were stretched out (which is what I had assumed was the reason of the wider shape). There is also a small sign of a darker spot in the one on my stomach. I’m very scared that it has spread, and that I waited too long to get it checked out.
I will obviously set up an appointment with my doctor asap. Right now I am just very scared and want a professional opinion.
10/16/2017
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

do you have pictures?

Here are the photos

This first one isn't a mole. It is a seborrheic keratosis. It is benign

the second is a mole and looks normal to me.

I think you are fine here

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor
it's normal for a mole to become longer, and to have that small darker spot?

They can change. Yes.

I think it should be checked in person to be sure

but it looks pretty normal to me