Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have spots on both my pinky toenails. Are these melanoma?

Saw them yesterday. One looks...
I have spots on both my pinky toenails. Are these melanoma? Saw them yesterday. One looks like it's deeper and on the skin under my nail which scares me.
10/15/2017
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

no those look more like a little damage to the underlying tissue and scab formation

melanomas usually cause vertical streaks in the nail

is this helpful?

Melanoma Of the nail can appear like this too though, right?

not usually

and it doesn't appear to be melanoma

I would see a doctor in person to confirm

but I don't think so

It's right to the edge of the side of nail so I'm not sure of it's also on the skin which makes me nervous

No I don't think so

If it were there would it be a bad thing or could it be bruising of it was?

I don't understand that last question

If the the color is very close to the side if my nail, and I'm worried that it's on the skin. If it were on the skin, could it be bruising still or would it mean perhaps melanoma?

yes, it could be bruising

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Okay thank you. The black speck on the other nail doesn't look suspicious either? U don't think it's melanoma?

No I don't think it is

I would get it checked in person to be sure

but I think you are fine

Thank You!

welcome :)

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor