Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

Saw these two spots on my toes tonight. I don't think it's

Customer Question
Saw these two spots on...
Saw these two spots on my toes tonight. I don't think it's on my skin at all, only the toenail or under the toenail. One of the toes it is in the middle, not too worried about that one because I was able to scrape some of it off. But one if really close to the cuticle and in person looks dark, maybe a dark brown or maybe even black. I'm not sure. Is it nail melanoma?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dermatology
10/14/2017
Dermatologist: vakularen, Doctor (other than dermatologist) replied 1 month ago
vakularen
vakularen, Doctor (other than dermatologist)

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Since when have you seen these spots/moles?Are they rapidly increasing in size/colour?Are the borders of these moles irregular ?Please give me more information,thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just saw them tonight. One i partially scraped off so I can't tell about the border buy the other one just looks like a spot with a clear border

In all probability ,both the spots will be benign.You will need to keep an eye on them and get an examination at regular intervals.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing points at anything bad? pinky toenails on both sides have them

No,no bad signals or signs from either one,but it would be prudent to keep a watch.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What's the chance of this being melanoma?

As of now,highly unlikely,Less than 0,1%.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Was that .1%?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I found another black speck. Is this still ok?

Yes,it was 1 in a thousand,if your anxiety is high,keeping detailed track of these spots and reporting any change to your doctor would be prudent.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this black speck Ok too? You're not worried about any of This?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is it a bad sign for both pinky toenails to have spots? Or would it be a positive sign that it's not melanoma, more like the shoes I wear make me get bloodspots?

If you are wearing shoes with tightness at the toe end,that may be a possibility.But assuming that tese are moles,it would help keepijg a watch on the size,edges and growth of these spots.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it a bad sign that both pinky toes have them? Nine months ago I had a speck on my pinky toe nail but I picked it off. And is this black speck something to worry about?

Just keep an eye on it,If it changes colour/size/borders ,see your PCP urgently.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does it look suspicious? And is it a bad sign for both my pinky toe nails to have marks? Like melanoma?

It is unusual to notice spots on the pinky toes of both feet at the same time.As far as the chances of their being Melanoma go,it would be very improbable but not impossible.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do you mean unusual? Unusual for both pinky toenails to melanomas at once, or unusual in General?

Unusual in general.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would this make it more likely to be melanoma? I had a spot on my pinky toenail 9 months ago but I picked it off. Would it take 9 months for melanoma to grow back? Is specks in nails unusual?

No specks in nails do occur,no it does not make it more likely tom be melanoma.If the coloured spot does not grow with the nail,it would beb worth a biopsy.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
By the looks of the pictures, does it look like melanoma?

Appearances can be deceptive,it would require observation over some time,check if the spot grows with the nail ,increases in size or changes colour to assess or suspect malignancy .Even then,only a biopsy will confirm the diagnosis.It is not prudent to comment on a spot under the nail without knowing more or watching it for some time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think it's melanoma though?

NO,I cannot say so by just viewing it once.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You can't say that u don't think it's melanoma?

No,it is not a melanoma.

vakularen
vakularen