Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Am having stinging pain in two of my fingers in left hand at…

Customer Question
Hi am having stinging...

Hi am having stinging pain in two of my fingers in left hand at tiny dark spots like pinpoints if I press there the pain is excrutiating like burning and iching at the same time and the weird thing is the tiny spots keep shifting from day to day

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

Pain in fingertips since last 5 days

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

And I have been massaging the hand and arm thinking some circulation problem and now the pain has moved to arm as well if I move my thumb

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dermatology
10/3/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually from what you are describing it sounds like that you may have compression of a couple of nerves either at the fingers or even in the wrist. this can cause intermittent stinging or burning pain in affected fingers and the pain can be elicited by pressing over the pathway of the nerves which would explain the changing location of the tender spots. This can also be due to neuropathy which may be developing in the fingers, neuropathy is damage to the fingers which can lead to the development of these symptoms. it can be caused by vitamin B12 deficiency, folate deficiency, autoimmune conditions, thyroid disorders etc. This would be diagnosed with the help of a simple clinical examination and also with the help of a simple NCS/EMG test. Once diagnosed it can be treated with medications like lyrica or neurontin or even with the help of TENS therapy but i do believe that you should get evaluated for this condition with a NCS/EMg test.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/