Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

What antiperspirant do you recommend for hyperhidrosis. And…

Customer Question
What antiperspirant do you...

What antiperspirant do you recommend for hyperhidrosis

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes and they recommended botox but I cannot afford it. no medications

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I am an otherwise healthy 21 year college student

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dermatology
9/28/2017
Dermatologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually in hyperhidrosis, the best type of anti pespirant is one which contains aluminium chloride. You can try anti pespirants like drysol, xerac ac which work the best among those which contain aluminium chloride. Infact the american academy of dermatology recommends aluminium containing anti pespirants in situations such as yours. If you dont have access to prescription anti pespirants then you can try using OTC products like Maxim anti pespirant which is a STRONG OTC product. you can find it here on amazon,

Amazon link

Amazon link 2

However i would also advise other possibilities which can be tried if you dont want to go for botox injections these can include,

Electrical current. In a procedure called iontophoresis, a device is used to deliver a low level of electrical current to water-soaked hands or feet, and sometimes the armpits. You will likely need the treatment twice a day for three to four weeks. This may reduce your sweating for several weeks, and then the treatment needs to be repeated. You may need less frequent treatments during maintenance therapy.

Hand-held medical device destroys sweat glands: This is a newer treatment approved by the FDA. A medical doctor such as a dermatologist must give these treatments. If this is an option, the dermatologist uses a machine that emits electromagnetic energy. This energy destroys the sweat glands. In one or two office visits, the glands can be destroyed. Once destroyed, the sweat glands are gone forever.

This is a relatively cheaper alternative to the botox injections, but if you cant use those either then go for the anti pespirants and home measures like,

• Choose clothing to suit your activity. Generally, wear natural fabrics, such as cotton, wool and silk, which allow your skin to breathe. When you exercise, you might prefer fabrics designed to wick moisture away from your skin.
  • Try relaxation techniques. Consider relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation and biofeedback. These can help you learn to control the stress that triggers sweating.
  • Bathe daily. Regular bathing helps keep the number of bacteria on your skin in check. Dry yourself thoroughly, especially between the toes and under the arms.
  • Choose shoes and socks made of natural materials.Shoes made of natural materials, such as leather, can help prevent sweaty feet by allowing your feet to breathe. When you're active, moisture-wicking athletic socks are a good choice.
  • Rotate your shoes. Shoes won't completely dry overnight, so try not to wear the same pair two days in a row.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/