Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed, by derm, with seborrheic derm of the ears…

Customer Question
I was diagnosed, by derm...
I was diagnosed, by derm, with seborrheic derm of the ears (inners), Rx'd with econozole but it's not helping. Ears now worse, leaking. worse scaling and slight serosanguinous wetnes. Any suggestions? Please advise. Thank you.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dermatology
9/27/2017
Dermatologist: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Sorry for the delay.

So if topical antifungal didnt help then you can add topical corticosteroids e.g clobetasol (Clobex, Cormax) and desonide (Desowen, Desonate) .

Other options like zinc, topical selenium sulfide and salicylic acid can be added. Usuallya combination of these treatments is more effectuve then just one thing . You need prescription for these though.

If everything fails ,oral antifungal should be taken.

Hope it was useful

Please do remember to reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars on screen.

I wish you all the best.

Stay blessed

I thought that you should not use steroids on broken/weeping skin. ??? Please advise. Thank you.

Well its one of the main treatment options esp for scaly Seborrheic dermatitis. Topical corticosteroid solutions, lotions or ointments may be used once or twice daily for one to three weeks and may be stopped when itching and erythema disappear. Corticosteroid application may be repeated daily for one to three weeks until itching and erythema disappear, and then used as needed. Maintenance with an antidandruff shampoo may then be adequate. Its advised to use potent topical steroids sparingly because excessive use may lead to atrophy of the skin .

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor