Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed with tinea versicolor on my arms and legs…

Customer Question
I was diagnosed with tinea...
I was diagnosed with tinea versicolor on my arms and legs and belly. I was on treatment but the patches are not going away. Its been a year and the spots are still there. Are there ay treatments to get rid of the spots? like chemical peels or laser. What should i do? its really killing my confidence
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dermatology
9/24/2017
Dermatologist: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Dear sir i would like to know what treatment have you used till now?

Ketoconale shampoo for 3 months and itraconozole pills for a month, 3 pills per week 100 mg
These pics are from my arms and legs. These tiny patches are all over my body. On belly, chest, butt, thighs, back. I have been to 3 dermatologists and all just gave me the shampoo and some pills like itraconozole, diflucan and ketanacole. And asked me to wait for these patches to go away. But it's been really long time and these are not going away and I can see these patches are increasing. I am starting to doubt is it really tinea versicolor or some other condition like vitiligo? Please help me sir.
This thing is really effecting me psychologically. I feel like burning these patches so that atleast new skin will develop on it.

Please send me the photos of rash.

Sent

Well you have to understand that the skin discoloration with tinea versicolor can take months to fade away or match the surrounding skin even though the fungus / yeast has been eradicated completely. Its usually very easily cured with topical antifungals. You can use selenium sulfide shampoo meanwhile. May be wait on it for a couple more months.

If this doesnt help then you can discuss 0.03% tacrolimus with your doctor. But with all these options ,none speed up recovery of skin discoloration, it will happen spontaneously but the timeline isnt predictable unfortunately. Laser isnt an option though.

I hope your query has been adequately answered.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Please do remember to reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars on screen.

I wish you all the best.

Stay blessed

What if I burn the patch?
Am doing it's not vitiligo right?
any diet you recommend? Or gods that I should avoid?

No dietary modifications required and no its not vitiligo.

Please do remember to reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in the rating corner.

I wish you a rapid recovery.

Kind regards.

Dr Saleem.

Dermatologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello. This is Dr. Love.

The system says that you have requested a new expert and I have reviewed the discussion to this point.

However, I do not see any attached pictures of the rash.

Could you attach the pictures again?

Here you go.
Does smoking and alcohol cause this?
Currently I am taking ketonocole 200 mg pills 2 at a time and workout for 30 mins to sweat out. And selsum blue 1% selenium sulphide once a day as body wash.

Thank you for the pictures.

I agree that the appearance on the images is tinea versicolor. A live exam would be more accurate, as a closer examination would show the typical scaling that is seen with tinea versicolor, and a Dermoscope or Wood’s lamp can be used to aid the diagnosis. However, if there is any uncertainty of the diagnosis, then a scraping of the lesions and examination under the microscope would provide a more definitive diagnosis. If you would like more certainty in the diagnosis and a scraping has not been done, then you can request that it be done.

While the usual course of tinea versicolor is resolution of the hypopigmented areas over about 1-2 months after the fungus is treated, there are some people in whom the tinea versicolor is a chronic problem. As best we can tell, these people are simply more susceptible to the infection. It does not appear that smoking or drinking alcohol contribute to these people in whom it is a chronic problem. There is no identifiable or correctable factor that causes the susceptibility. For these people, there may be clearance of the fungus with the use of antifungals (if a scraping is repeated), but a recurrent infection occurs before the pigmentation returns to normal. The usual next step when there are chronic recurrent infections would be repeated treatments every month, and this may need to be continued indefinitely. It also may help to alternate the specific treatment used each month.

There is nothing that will accelerate the resolution of the loss of pigment other than treatment of the fungus.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know. Please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Guess I have to live with it then. Nothing else I can do. why does everything happens to me. Seriously my life is useless.Anyway thanks for your help.

You are welcome. Unfortunately, there are many different chronic illnesses, and each person must deal with whatever condition they develop. You can only affect what is within your power to control.

Please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

What if I just burn or cut the spots?

That will not help the spots to pigment again. As I said above, there is nothing that will accelerate the resolution of the loss of pigment other than treatment of the fungus.

Also I get these red color pimples on my arms and legs and they turn into black spots after sometime. What is this?

This looks to be a small fibroma, which is a collection of fibrous tissue that can occur for many reasons. It is not a concern.

I have 1 quick question. One doctor gave me ketonocole 200mg tablets 2 at a time and workout for 30 mins immediately and next dose 1 week later.Other doctor gave me itraconozole 100mg, 3 times a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) for 4 weeks.Which one should I follow? Should I take both medications?

You should not take both medicines together. I would usually prescribe the itraconazole, particularly in someone that may need long-term recurrent treatments, as there is a greater risk of side effects from oral ketoconazole.

Sometimes, dual treatment may be appropriate, but combining oral itraconazole with topical ketoconazole is more often done than taking both drugs orally.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor