Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My husband was scratching his head area, above his ear,

Hi. My husband was scratching...
Hi. My husband was scratching his head area, above his ear, saying that it itches. He scratched it too much that turn into a cut and The pus came put, yesterday the yellow pus was dried and stuck to his hair. Today seems like the skin is building up to replace that area but it still looks tender and a bit yellow, please see picture. Not sure if it looks infected or just looks like a regular wound. It has been ongoing for 4-5 days. Now he stopped scratching. I put neosporin and mupicorin for him. Any other home care, we should be doing? And do you think it looks infected that we might need to go see doc to get an antibiotics?
9/23/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your husband. Now the symptoms that you are describing it certainly sounds like that your husbvand has developed an infection in the region which is causing the problem. The presence of yellow discoloration underneath the skin can be indicative of an infection which is still persisting. Infat this sounds like an abscess more than anything else. The picture also correlated with this finding as well. This would be treated well with topical antibiotics like the ones which you are already applying on the area however if the area does not subside in the next 48 hours or so then he would need oral antibiotics. He may also need oral antibiotics if the area grows in the size or if he develops any redness surrounding the area or worsening of the condition.

But for now he should continue with topical antibiotics and also with OTC anti inflammatory agents like ibuprofen at a dose of 600 mg thrice daily or even aleve twice a day.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

normally, skin infection can subside by just the topical antibiotic cream? It is not necessary to take oral antibiotics if it doesn’t grow larger, is that correct?
And can we wash the hair?

That is correct, IF it grows larger or if there is surroudning redness or swelling then it would definitely need oral antibiotics. And YES you can wash the hair.

Do you have any more questions?

One more thing, does it seems serious for you? He said it hurts when touch. Or normally, like this kind of situation, it could go away and heal by itself?

No it does not at the moment, usually it does subside with topical antibiotics but if it does not then oral antibiotics definitely takes care of it. However it is rarely dangerous.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Thanks so much!

You are welcome.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor